24/7 Season 2 – Reviewed
If you’ve followed the Rangers/Flyers on HBO 24/7 (on youtube if you can’t find it elsewhere) you saw some great insights into the lives of the NHLers. As Jason Botchford wrote, “It was full of Bryz & Vinegar.” Here’s a review of the series:
F-Bomb Count: Unofficially 67, and no we’re not going to add one just to get to the Jagr.
Missing In Action: Chris Pronger, NHL ice builder Dan Craig, Gary Bettman (thank you)
Best Nosepicker: Brandon Dubinsky
Top 5 Quotes
5. “Is the orange juice unlimited?” — Sean Avery at a D.C. hotel
4. “What kind of question is this? Everybody knows how I’m going to be received.” Jaromir Jagr, when asked about Pittsburgh fans.
3. “You had your night off. So there’s no more for a while here. There’s gonna be another one, I’m sure. Not for a while. And it better not be [expletive] tonight.” — Tortorella.
2. “What the [expletive] are you doing, you [expletive] piece of [poop]. You [expletive] suckered him!” — Mike Rupp to Tomas Kopecky.
1. “[Expletive] spear there. Right in my [expletive] penis.” — Max Talbot, after a Tyler Kennedy spear.
Best Creeper: Shanahan lurks in the shadows
3. John Tortorella. Can we hire this man to motivate us in everyday life?
2. Michael Rupp. The hero of the Winter Classic, he was also a veteran sage in the locker room and a protector of Del Zottos.
1. Scott Hartnell. The catalyst for many, many on-ice altercations; his play brought his story full circle after Laviolette slammed him for being too casual in the previous episode. Great stuff, Sideshow Bob.
Biggest character: Bryzgalov goes from being the comedic Russian philosophizer-king wishing everyone a “Merry Bryzmas,” to sitting on the bench with his thermos and contemplating his plight.
Best Ending to a Documentary….. Ever: The video essay ties it all together… plus the smiley guys at the end.
“Nothing ever feels as perfect as a moment of flawlessness on the ice.” (Dubinsky scores against the Islanders.)
“No bond as strong as one that compels brothers to bleed for one another.” (Zac Rinaldo skates away from a fight, getting the crowd riled.)
“Not many leaders as this versed in the craft of motivation.” (Laviolette and Torts are shown.)
“Not many pursuits can evoke such visions if brilliance.” (Lundqvist, raising his stick to the MSG crowd.)
“This is why it hurts so much when skill falls short of what the will desires. (a shot at Bryz?) This is why it’s so unforgettable when absolute passion yields ultimate reward.”
“And that’s all still just the start of what the Game can do to you.”
There’s a final montage of the people we’ve met, from the players to the coaches to Grandma Callahan.
“Hockey may in fact be just a game, but it’s also who they are.”