Week 19 – Getting Nostalgic
25 Years Ago This Week, Tragically Hip release Road Apples. The album.
- Fulty keeps it rolling and is now within 2 points of Cordy
- Derko’s no slouch either; he’s only 3 back of Cordy.
- Rolphy keeps at it, solidly in 4th
- Vinny stops the bleeding of 0-fer weeks with 2 wins
- GoJo has 38 points, yet goes 1-2; T-Man’s 29 pts equal 2-1 week
- Still, GoJo jumped ahead of Erty in the standings
- Hot: Fulty 14-0 run, Derko 11-0-1; Rolphy 15-3
- Not: EZ’s gone 1-10 in the last month, and he’s only won 4 of his last 23…..and a quick search of his laptop sees he’s bookmarked 10 Auston Matthews prospective sites.
- The pick-up went to Lottery this week and a “5” means that the selection for this week back to JBR (who seemed to really be enjoying the WL Craft Beer Festival on Saturday night….
GET TO KNOW ME!
Time to get to know your OFHL Franchises. This week’s spotlight…. TEAM GOJO
- 22nd season of operation (2nd oldest franchise)
- 1st season: 1994-95 (0.288 winning % – last place in 8 team league)
- Worst finish: 11th, 2001-02
- Best finish: 1st in 2012-13 (0.714 %)
- 1st ever draft pick: Dominik Hasek, 2nd overall 1994 draft
- 1st pick-up: The twice drafted QMJHL superstar Daniel Goneau who amassed 15 points in 53 NHL games!
- 1st trade: He probably made some trades in the OFHL before the dawn of excel spreadsheets, but his first recorded trade was sending Paul Coffey DT to T-Man for Nieuwendyk & a 3rd (Kozlov SJ)
- Best late picks: One thing about GoJo, the guy researches his drafts — he’s the Detroit Red Wings of the OFHL. Here are a few of his late round steals:
- 11th round – Shattenkirk, Prospal
- 12th round – Suter
- 13th round – Neal, Giordano, Seabrook
- 15th round – Kunitz
- Highest pick: 1st overall – Sidney Crosby in 2005
- Most famous trade: 2 years after drafting Sid, GoJo sent Crosby, a 5th & 6th to Derko for Hejduk Co, Marleau SJ, Legwand NS, Lupul PH, & 2nd rd pick. What is forgotten is that GoJo selected Voracek PH with that 2nd rd pick…. not too shabby. But then more research shows that Derko selected Couture SJ with that 5th rounder; and then Pocock got that 6th rounder and used it to grab Pavelski SJ. Hmmmm.
- Look alike: Pat Lafontaine (who turns 51 on Monday; PLaf, not GoJo.)
After setting a record for the number of 5-2 losses in a row, Canucks fans are hoping for the team to go supertanker for a high pick. These two guys, however, are not going to let this happen if they can help it. Each got 7 points for the first time they’ve ever been co-potw.
Since we’re on the hockey card wave, getta load of this classic.
That’s it for this week. Reminder that the OFHL Trading Deadline is March 6th, the Sunday after the NHL trade deadline. Speaking of the trading deadline, here’s Ray Ferraro on TSN 1260 this week, “Not sure if I’d trade for Justin Schultz. He’s a threat at both ends of the ice.”