Week 13 – The WJC is Over. Let’s move on.
The WJC is done for another year. Who can we tell about how much we hate the shoot-out? Just let them play!
Ask the Toronto FC fans who lost the MLS championship game last month to a team that didn’t get one shot on net in the 90 min. regulation and the 30 min OT. Brutal. Stupid. Hate it. Anyways, great game until that point, and congrats to the US kids.
Americans say they don’t care about this tournament….unless they win. Then it’s…
Here’s a little WJC/Geo-Political trivia:
Name 2 players who started the tournament playing for their country, but by tournaments end, they were no longer citizens of that country….give up….. It’s Sandis Ozolinsh & Sergei Zholtok, who started the 1991 WJC as citizens of the Soviet Union, but the day the tournament began, the Soviet Union formally dissolved.
The team continued to play as the Soviet Union, but on January 1, 1992, the team was renamed the Commonwealth of Independent States. Ozolinsh & Zholtok were from Latvia, a country that was not part of the commonwealth. Weird. Zholtok had a heart attack on the ice and passed away in ’04 at 31 years. He was also part of a vicious OFHL power struggle regarding his rookie status back in the ’90s.
Ozolinsh? Ask GoJo about him and his financial statement.
THE WEEKLY RANT or THE WEEK IN BULLETS
- Week 13 showed some parity with only 14 points separating 1st and 14th place
- Derko had the big week with 36 points
- 3-0 weeks went to Derko, Rolphy, T-Man, & Erty
- Movers: GoJo moved up 2 spots to 6th; Rolphy moved up one spot to 2nd.
- Hot: Derko’s on an 11-1 run; Erty kicked his 0-9 slump with a 5-1 run
- Not: Stifler & the R&S boys are winless in the past 3 weeks
- R&S used the pick-up to grab big Jordan Greenway of Team USA. The Wild’s 2015 2nd rounder is a point per game player with Boston Univ.
- R&S cut Hansen VN. Must have hurt. But it’s another lottery pick, and a “1” was rolled so they get the pick-up again.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Not a lot of big point weeks for the skaters, but the goalies did well. Erty’s Schneider had a 7 pointer, but the POTW honours go to the Spitter from Rolphy & Mr. Movember from Team Orv. Each had 8 point weeks.
CARD OF THE WEEK
Speaking of tenders….
Need anymore reasons why Americans don’t deserve hockey?
Fighting Isn’t Really Going Away…except in college. It’s gone
- The AHL saw one fighting major every 0.8 games.
- The ECHL had one every 0.9 games.
- The WHL saw one every 1.0 games
- The OHL and QMJHL one every 1.1 games.
- The NHL one every 1.8 games.
- The USHL one every 2.5 games,
- and the NCAA……. one every 281 games. Click the link below for the article
The Last Days of the Prez.
That’s it. Until next week, keep shimmying…
Posted on January 8, 2017, in Uncategorized and tagged fights, hanlon, holtby, latvia, miller, NBC, NCAA, obama, ozolinsh, schneider, shaq, team USA, trump, WJC. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.