Week 18 Wrap – Six More to Go
‘Nucks & Bruins renewed friendships Saturday morning so we thought we’d start off with a tribute to Rolphy’s favorite player…
Think he’d still do that if “Knuckles” was still patrolling Marchand’s side of the ice?
THE COACH CATEGORY
Apologies for my tirade last month about how the “Coach” category doesn’t reflect the real NHL in that coaches are never traded. That was, in fact, wrong.
In a most unique transaction back in 1987, the New York Rangers traded their 1988 first round draft pick to the Quebec Nordiques in exchange for the Nordiques’ coach Michel Bergeron.
And what became of the draft pick obtained by the Nordiques for Bergeron? With their second pick in the first round, and the 5th overall, the Nordiques selected Daniel Dore from Drummondville of the QMJHL. Dore played 17 NHL games, scored 2 goals and 3 assists for 5 career points. To select Dore, the Nordiques passed on Martin Gelinas, Jeremy Roenick, Rod Brind’Amour, and Teemu Selanne, who were picks 7, 8, 9 and 10 that year. Recchi, Amonte, & Rob Blake were 4th rounders; Hedican went in the 10th round. Ah, hindsight.
So anyways, bring on the coach trades!
THE WEEK IN BULLETS
- EZ’s all or nothing weeks continue as he hits the 50 point plateau this week.
- Also going 3-0 with EZ were Haukster, Cordy & Rolphy
- Rolphy’s 4 players on Sunday had a combined 9 points, giving him a one-point win over Derko & Fulty.
- Haukster and T-Man switched spots in the standings as Haukster jumped up two spots to 5th & T-Man dropped from 5th to 7th.
- EZ moved up one spot to 8th, but has the 5th best points per week avg.
- Haukster is on a 9-2-1 run, Cordy’s on a 14-1 run
- Stifler has grabbed points in each of the past 5 weeks.
- The pick-up this week: R&S get 123, JBR gets 45, Orv gets 6…. and it’s a “1” so R& S can sit around the pool this week, accepting trade offers.
- Player moves:
- GoJo trades Anderson OT to Rolphy for a 4th.
- Orv traded the pick-up to GoJo for a 4th, then GoJo selected Craig Berube and his 30+ fights from the 1990 Philadelphia Flyers (or the Islanders’ back-up, not sure which.)
Trade of the week: In a wickedly evil-genius-type-move, Cordy grabbed Cam Ward from Orv for some magic beans. As Ward’s birthday falls on Feb 29th he is technically only 8 years old and Cordy can keep him for another century (and he’d still be better than Halak…*rimshot*)
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
It goes to a D-man this week as eZ’s Roman Josi NS kicked out of his scoring funk big-time with 10 points. Card of the Week goes to a d-man who was eZ’s childhood hero. Dennis “the Menace” Kearns.
T-Man enjoying his “Snow Week.”
STANDINGS After 18 Weeks (6 to go)
Quick reminder of what we are playing for:
- 1st place $200,
- 2nd place $140,
- 3rd place $100,
- 4th place $60,
- 5th place $40
Going to the Beer Fest this weekend? Click the link below to find out who’ll be there.
Not sure about craft beer yet? Follow the chart to discover your style.
Just six weeks remaining in the regular season and then the playoffs. Here’s a quick refresher:
- Playoffs will run for the last two weeks of the NHL season
- Teams will continue to submit weekly rosters for duration of the playoffs
- Total points for all playoff weeks used to determine playoff winners
- Playoffs will be tiered based on OFHL regular season final standings
- Tier one – all teams that finished in the money at the end of the regular season
- Tier two- those teams that finished out of the money but not in the bottom 4
- Tier three – the bottom 4 teams in regular season
The winners of each playoff tier will win the following
- Tier one – a draft pick at the end of the 5th round in the next year
- Tier two – a draft pick at the end of the 4th round in the next year
- Tier three – a draft pick at the end of the 3rd round in the next year
So let the race (or sewering) begin!
That’s it. Enjoy Family Day at home, on the slopes, or, like Ren & Stimpy, on a nice warm holiday…
Posted on February 13, 2017, in Uncategorized and tagged bergeron, berube, coaches, craft beer, dore, esposito, josi, kearns, marchand, nilan, nordiques, playoffs, rangers, Ren & Stimpy, T-Man, T-Man files, ward. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.