The Penultimate week coming up and here’s what we know…
- Cordy has the OFHL Championship wrapped up if:
- He wins or ties one game in the next 2 weeks
- Rolphy loses one game or ties one in the next 2 weeks
- For Rolphy to win:
- He has to go 6-0
- Cordy goes 0-6
- He makes up the 53 player points he is trailing…
- Race for 3rd: Fulty is 2 points up on Derko
- Race for 5th (the last $ spot): T-Man holds a 3 point lead over EZ; 4 over Vinny; 5 over Haukster
- EZ moves up another spot to sit 6th; 3 weeks ago he sat in 9th
- The Yakupov Deal (Swap of 1sts) between C (who has T-man’s 1st) & T (who got EZ’s from C) is heating up.
- Cordy had the big week with 45 points; also going 3-0 were Derko & EZ
- T-Man had the 3rd best week but went 1-2
- Orv had the 3rd worst week but went 2-1
- As of time of publishing this post, the last pick-up of the year hadn’t been made yet by JBR, but he acknowledged that he was going to grab Team Canada stalwart Taylor Raddysh of TBay
Here is a review of the year’s pick-ups (note: some have already been dropped…)
|11||JBR||C Brown TO|
PLAYER OF THE WEEK+
Cordy’s Malkin PT could have got the nod with his Gordie Howe hat-trick (if you want to call that a fight) but Erik Karlsson OT had 9 points for the POTW. Here are a few POTW beauties, some past, some present.
Fulty was scouting Benn way back when.
Kucherov was co-POTW last week. The guy is rolling right now. He can do no wrong.
Here is a refresher on the Playoff Rules (this is done even though I know one of you will text at the end of the 1st playoff week and ask if we are updating our rosters or just playing the same guys for 2 weeks….don’t be “that guy.”)
- Playoffs will run for the last two weeks of the NHL season
- Teams will continue to submit weekly rosters for duration of the playoffs
- Total points for all playoff weeks used to determine playoff winners
- Playoffs will be tiered based on OFHL regular season final standings
- Tier one – all teams that finished in the money at the end of the regular season
- Tier two– those teams that finished out of the money but not in the bottom 4
- Tier three – the bottom 4 teams in regular season
The winners of each playoff tier will win the following
- Tier one – a draft pick at the end of the 5th round in the next year
- Tier two – a draft pick at the end of the 4th round in the next year
- Tier three – a draft pick at the end of the 3rd round in the next year
Spring Break is coming. If you’re going skiing, be careful in the trees. This guy just skied between two trees — no wipe-out. His friends now call him “Lip Stick.”
Until next week…
….because it’s the time we get our favorite Christmas Gift: The WJC!
Whoooops, wrong WJC. I guess they’re not really big “Christmas” fans.
The 2017 World Junior Hockey Championship (100% kosher) kicks off on Boxing Day in Montreal and Toronto. Here’s the Pre-Competition.
In case you missed it…
Guess who wants a new stick for Christmas?
Apparently Luongo wants a trade out of Florida, but…..his contract sucks!
THE WEEK IN BULLETS
- Big week is Cordy’s 39
- He goes 3-0 along with Derko, GoJo, &….. wait for it….. REN & STIMPY
- Derko jumps up 2 spots to 4th
- GoJo jumps up one spot to 7th
- Stifler picked up Arvidsson NASH and dropped Soderberg COL
- Pick up for this week? R&S 1-3; Stif 4&5; Orv 6….and it’s a “1” so R&S get the week 10 pick-up.
- Short week with no games Sat & Sunday
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
So…… the Liberals”Joint” Task Force announced their recommendations for the legalization of marijuana …… and we thought Loui wanted to play in Vancouver because of the Sedins…
Not the first time an athlete chose a town for its drug culture…
and while he loves to smoke crack and drink vodka, this week’s POTW, GoJo’s 2015 1st rounder Artemi Panarin, evidently chose Chi-town for it’s underground SKA scene.
Twitter has now taken the place of parents yelling inside the rink. Witness Erik Gudbranson’s father tweeting on his son’s play in the ‘Nucks v. ‘Canes game Tuesday night.
Early, he was pissed…
Then, he was looking for positives….
Good thing Wayne didn’t see this one.
Separated at Birth…Jordie Benn & Yukon Cornelius
Did you notice? Yukon C is packin’ heat. Original Christmas Cartoon Badass.
If you want some laughs, CraveTV premieres season 2 of Letterkenny this week. It’s about hicks, skids, hockey players and Christians.
Some classic lines from season 1:
“Oh I’m stomping the brakes; put that idea right through the f’n windshield.”
“There’s nothin’ better than a fart. Except kids falling off bikes, fuck, I could watch kids fall off bikes all day.”
“You’re made of spare parts aren’t you, bud?”
And the hockey chirps by Riley & Jonesy are perfect. Definitely NSFW.
Wonder what they’d yell at Tryamkin after his twerkin’
Seahawks wear “Action Green.”
The Seahawks executed the most perfect fake punt in recent history until their punter remembered he was a white guy from Regina.
“Wow! So much room! I’m going all the way….whoopps… what the… *conk*
Alan Thicke passed away this week. I have to admit that when I heard his name in the past I would think of cheezy ’80s sit-coms, but now (and forevermore) I will remember him as a guy who died the way any Canadian kid would want to go… with his skates on.
Still looking for a few last-minute gifts? Try these…
Anyways. See you Saturday at Denny’s 10:30. Bring a player for the swap.
- Orv & Vinny both have huge 40 point weeks…unfortunately neither had a perfect week as they played each other.
- T-Man (3-0) and Rolphy (2-0) were the only perfect teams this week.
- Fulty had his first losses of the season (0-2) but still holds onto first place.
- The Great Turtle Race saw JBR beat Stifler by one point, but still sits in last overall (or first in the Auston Matthews lottery)
- The pick-up falls to a lottery again and #4 means Stifler gets another pick at the pick-up
Happy Birthday Old Fart!
GoJo had another b-day, and while he still looks like a British Fabio, he is 18,993 days old. Plus….
Speaking of old….We all saw how old Kevin Bieksa was getting in last year’s playoff and how Michael “Mr. Irrelevant” Ferland rendered Bieksa… well…. irrelevant. Another sign of age was seen in a recent fight with Mike Fisher of the Preds. Mr. “Carrie Underwood” popped him one that dislodged one of the longest teeth ever seen since Chelios over-stayed his welcome.
Continuing on the “age” theme… anyone remember how good this guy was?
Orv’s Anderson leads the way with a 9 point week and most smashed waterbottles on his forehead.
Somebody’s been doing their homework when it comes to drafting (3 of them) or trading (Kane) for these stats monsters. Damn you, Fulty!
Week 25 – The Penultimate Week (man, I like using that word!) Ramblings
First up, apologies to T-Man, eZ, and any other card carrying members of the Lil’ Canucks Club who are upset by last week’s referrals to the Canucks as band-wagon jumpers onto that juggernaut that is the Vancouver Millionaires. One never knows the power a revisionist historian can hold until it’s too late (are you listening, people of Germany circa 1930s?)
Now, comparing the Canucks marketing department to Mein Fuhrer is a stretch, and we’ll cut them some slack. Unless they release this,
Still, I love that tweet from Red Army. Even Fin would have to admit that is lots of LOLs.
At least you know that things are looking up for the Canucks when you see the focus of Linden and Benning up in the box during the game.
So to end the Canucks rant on a high note, here’s Jannick Hansen being a good dude, even in a loss.
(some may thinks it’s gross to give a kid your sweaty gloves, but if you’ve ever lined up at the tunnel after a game and repeated “Can I have your stick? Can I have your stick? Can I…” you know that anything game-worn from the home team goes up on the mantle.)
And at least your team has hope for making the playoffs. We Oiler fans only have hope for a firing
Oiler Twitter fans have been using this as their sign-off since the Forensic Audit:
#FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey
And then there’s Orv cheering on his beloved Sabres.
So, on with the Ramblings…
Last week’s poll revealed that you think Fulty will win this (83%.) But it’s not over yet as Cordy used a huge Sunday to move up to pass Haukster by 1 pt, and tie Fulty with 41 points. Fulty still owns the tie-break with more player points. Fulty also takes the head-to-head tie-break as he’s won 3, Cordy’s won 2, and this past week was a saw-off.
JBR tied Rolphy and moved one point closer to Stifler, but thankfully for JBR, it’s his Bye week and he only has 2 games. #BuffaloSabres?
EZ is on some kind of run; he’s 11-1 in the past 4 weeks.
It took a while, but Mike Green returns to POTW after a big 8 point week.
It was a rough week for faces. Check out the wicked skate slash to the face of Drew Miller of DET. Worse than Taylor Hall’s
Speaking of Millers, Byfuglien had enough of TJ Miller and attempted to murder him.
In other Facial Laceration news, Winnipeg Jets prospect Ryan Olsen had one of those games that can get you on “The Faces of Meth” calendar. The St. John’s Ice Cap center had a fight in the first, and a puck in the face in the 2nd. He’s a beauty.
And here’s another beauty. I know it’s roundball but Kelly Olynyk of the Celtics from South Kamloops High did Canadian kids proud. Took a “friendly fire” elbow during the pre-game shoot-around, was asked if he wanted to sit this game out, said no, and chipped in 19 points for the win.
So after 4 black eyes, 2 facial lacerations, and 1 broken neck, time to clean the palate with Cristiano Ronaldo. The slickster is a beautiful player of the Beautiful Game and managed to score 5 in a 9-1 rout of Granada on Sunday.
INTERESTING READS (if you have the time…and can read)
How to fix the NHL’s disastrous tanking situation some crazy ideas here
In Turtle Race news…..
Blues Fan Commits Jersey Foul
And finally, a REALITY CHECK: Do we spend too much time on sports? Trevor Noah thinks so.
The final week battles are colour coded:
- Blue: battle for 1st
- Orange: $ spots or 1 lottery shot
- Purple: Lottery juggling (remember T & O swapped 1st rounders)
- Green: Turtles is green
Enjoy the final week, boys. It’ll be interesting.
- Derko jumps from 5th to 3rd with a 3-0 (44 point week)
- Rolphy & Haukster are only one point back of Derko
- No change up top as both Cordy & Fulty win 2 (Fulty stays 8 points up) Magic # time?
- GoJo uses his week 18 pick-up to grab Dubnyk MN
- JBR & Stif both at 11 pts,but the pick-up for week 19 goes to JBR as he’s 0.002% points behind.
Remembering Steve Montador
Sure, Jamie Benn’s 9 points were fine, but Gibson gets the Save Of The Week (no thanks to his d-man)
FROM “THE SCORE – POWER RANKINGS”
14. Winnipeg Jets
“Yeahhh, we’ll be good with Tyler Myers and Drew Stafford, thanks.”
Stadium Series was played Saturday. Marc Crawford got there early to check out the box seats
The more you watch this one, the worse it gets for Gazdic
Hamilton tries to grab his pound of Buff
“Nice try, Chump!”
And finally, some SDSU Womens Golf. Cool, eh?