REGULAR SEASON WRAP
- Season ends with Cordy taking the Championship with a 0.813 winning percentage; 2nd highest since his 0.827 16 years ago.
- Rolphy ended solidly in 2nd and gets to enjoy the Derko Cup all of next year. We expect to see it adorn one of the Horizons HVAC vans ripping around the Cariboo.
- With Cordy wrapping up the OFHL Championship last weekend, there was really only one race left to decide: the Third Place money.
- In the end, Fulty stretched his lead over Derko in the final week and grabbed 3rd spot and the extra $40.
- T-Man rounded out the 5th & final $ spot. It should be noted that T-Man finished ahead of Derko in player points. Just sayin’.
- EZ jumped 2 spots in the final week to grab top loser spot and the last lottery spot (which actually belongs to T-Man)
- Stifler bests JBR in the Battle of Expansion Cousins
- Orv finished 2nd last but that just means he will likely get a great lottery pick this yea… wait…what? He traded that pick to T-Man? Oh. Nevermind.
- A more detailed wrap-up of each GMs season will be released at year end.
|1. Cordy $200||72||58||13||1||117||29||843||35.1||0.813|
|2. Rolphy $140||72||53||16||3||109||32||786||32.8||0.757|
|3. Fulty $100||72||48||20||4||100||44||778||32.4||0.694|
|4. Derko $60||72||48||24||0||96||29||733||30.5||0.667|
|5. T-Man $40||72||41||28||3||85||34||735||30.6||0.590|
PLAYERS OF THE YEAR
Here are the leaders in each category:
Rookie: Matthews TO (Vinny) & Laine WPG (Stifler) 61 points
Vet: Zetterberg DT (Vinny) 62 pts
Forward: McDavid ED (Stifler) 88 pts
D-Man: Burns SJ (Rolphy) 99 pts
And for the 2nd year in a row…
Goal: Holtby WS (Rolphy) 100 pts
Holtby could have been a 3-peater if not for falling to Carey Price back in 2014-15
The Napkin Re-visited
It looked like the napkin would have some validity early in the season, but predicting the final standings of 14 teams seven months before the conclusion is tough work. While the prediction of finish within the top two tiers was relatively close, the bottom tier was almost perfect.
One thing is clear with this prediction business, time spent on the toilet is not directly proportional to your powers of prognostication.
LET THE PLAYOFFS BEGIN!
- Playoffs will run for the last two weeks of the NHL season
- Teams will continue to submit weekly rosters for duration of the playoffs
- Total points for all playoff weeks used to determine playoff winners
- Playoffs will be tiered based on OFHL regular season final standings
- Tier one – all teams that finished in the money at the end of the regular season – Cordy, Rolphy, Fulty, Derko, & T-Man
- Tier two- those teams that finished out of the money but not in the bottom 4 – eZ, Haukster, Vinny, GoJo, Erty
- Tier three – the bottom 4 teams in regular season – Stifler, JBR, Orv, Ren & Stimpy
The winners of each playoff tier will win the following
- Tier one – a draft pick at the end of the 5th round in the next year
- Tier two – a draft pick at the end of the 4th round in the next year
- Tier three – a draft pick at the end of the 3rd round in the next year
Turn your sound on to really enjoy this… or just imagine Vinny saying “Playoffs?” thirty times.
That’s it boys! Another great season. Let the playoffs begin!
Get ready for Week 19 wrap-up with the best pre-game hype ever. NSFW
THE WEEK IN BULLETS
- Derko & Fulty have big week with 36
- D, F, C, R, & T all go 3-0
- T-Man & Haukster swap places again this week with T jumping 2 spots and H falling 2
- Orv drops to 13th; JBR jumps up to 12th
- Pick up for this week: R&S 123, Orv 45, and JBR 6….it’s a “1” so R&S get the pick-up for this week.
- R&S pick-up former OHL scoring phenom Kevin Labanc SJ & cut Riley Sheahan DT
- 2 more weeks with the pick-up
- OFHL Trading Deadline is Sunday, March 5th, midnight.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: 4-WAY TIE
8 points for EZ’s goalie John Gibson AH, and Stifler’s rookie Patrik Laine WP, as well as T-Man’s Robin Lehner BF (aka “The Mad Trapper.”)
Also, Brent Burns…again getting 8 points
How good is Brent Burns this year?
COACH OF THE WEEK
Claude Julien was on the move this week. Coaching is a tough gig. Makes you lose your hair.
From the Olympic Memorabilia Auction:
Williams Lake Craft Beer Fest 2017
Great time this past weekend with lots of OFHL GMs in attendance. Ren & Stimpy’s plan to trade with an inebriated Orv, Erty & JBR back-fired as they themselves imbibed heavily.
Top beer of the night? Take it from Orv whose Untappd notes on the Four Winds Apparition read: “Enjoyed. Mild sour and grapefruit notes. 4.25/5”
Spring is coming. It was so nice in Quesnel last week that Vinny got the bike out. Result below:
Get back on that horse! No harm done.
That’s it! Five Weeks to end of Regular Season.
Just as 1980’s US President Ronald Reagan was known for his “Reaganomics,” Donald J. Trump has quickly become known for his “Trumpamatics.” It’s a form of mathematics that seems to have quickly caught on with Americans, as evidenced by the Dallas Stars scoreboard last night.
Coach Category voting is complete. Thanks for all of your responses. Here is a breakdown of the questions asked:
- Point Value? It will be 1.5 points per win. 43% of you voted for 1.5. (not a majority, but it was the favorite option)
- Weekly Interchangeable? Yes. 86% in favour.
- Add a roster spot to the Bench? Yes. 86%
- Trade-able? Yes. 86%
- UFA status? Yes. 79%
Other items to arise from the vote:
- Coach category is a poopy idea.
- Are we going to draft more players/coaches on draft day?
- Does this mean we are only going to drop one player at cut-down day?
- Trade-able? That’s stupid. This is supposed to reflect the NHL. How many NHL coaches get traded?
- Coaches should be UFAs at age 55.
- One GM voted under the influence of Tequila
- The kmsh is a communist for hiding the results. He will just release what he wants to further his twisted agenda.
THE WEEK IN BULLETS
- Big week to Derko with 48
- He goes 3-0, as do Rolphy & Cordy
- Only T-Man moves up this week as he jumps into 8th.
- There’s only one point between T-Man and EZ now. It makes the “Yakapov Gamble” all the more compelling. (check T-man & Cordy’s Oct 8th trade for reference)
- Fulty used his 3rd rounder to grab last week’s pick-up from R&S. He grabbed Jake Guentzel from PT
- It’s another lottery….. a “3” is rolled and it goes to R&S again
- Only 6 more pick-ups left
- OFHL trade deadline is the Sunday after the NHL’s (which is mid-week this year for some reason)
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Could have been Nino Niederreiter, just don’t check out his hockeydb site.
The POTW is shared by two goalies. Thomas Greiss NYI for Team Stifler, and Mike Condon OT for Team R&S each had 9 points. Well done, newbies.
HOCKEY CARD OF THE WEEK
Farmer-boy had WHL seasons of 124 & 138 points with the Spokane Chiefs, went 2nd overall in 1991, had a 59 point rookie season with the Sharks, and it was all downhill after that.
The 1991 draft saw Lindros go #1, Scott Niedermayer go #3, Forsberg go #6, Naslund #16. None of them are farming today.
Of Valeri, Vladimir, & Pavel, which one has their name on the Stanley Cup?
Check out his story on HOMETOWN HOCKEY
This might be one of us next year if Torts is our Coach Category stud.
Gotta love Chewbacca & Jumbo
That’s it. Short week.
Enjoy Ignore the All-Star Weekend. Spend time with your family.
Thought we’d start off with a Christmas Carol courtesy of Facebook profiles:
Good News: Craig Cunningham is getting better
THE WEEK IN BULLETS
- Lots of goals, shut-outs, and fights this week so point totals were high.
- EZ led the way with 47 points and is now on a 6-0 run
- EZ had four players register at least 6 points.
- T-Man and Cordy had the 2nd best weeks with 42 points and both went 3-0
- Derko had the 3rd best week with 39 points, yet went 1-2; Orv had the 2nd worst week with 24 points and also went 1-2
- Haukster is on a 12-3 run; Vinny is on a 9-3 run; Cordy’s on a 9-0 run.
- T-Man and Haukster each moved up one spot in this weeks standings
- Lots of injuries as well: GoJo & Orv each had two red + signs
- Ren & Stimpy record their first win in 7 weeks
- Pick-up for this week goes to a lottery again: R&S get 1-3, Stif gets 4 & %, and Orv gets 6….. and it is a “4” meaning Stifler gets the pick-up again this week.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Lots of big weeks; Voracek (Derko) & Karlsson (Cordy) led the way with 9 points each, Holtby (Rolphy) had 8, and Hamilton (T-Man) and Darling (R&S) each had 7…..but the POTW has to go to Shayne Gostisbehere. Anybody who gets a beer named after them is POTW hands-down!
It’s out of Conshohocken Brewing in Pennsylvania. Road Trip, Erty?
NHL Droughts – Quick look at some NHL droughts…
SOME OFHL DROUGHTS OF NOTE:
- Active OFHL Cup drought: 12 years – VINNY
- Active OFHL being in the money drought: 12 years – VINNY
- Longest time since he had his own 1st round pick: 6 years – T-MAN
- Longest time since he’s locked himself in a bathroom at the draft: Never – Every GM except for DERKO
- Longest time since he’s fallen down stairs at the draft: Never – Every GM except for ORV
It’s slow to start, but once it gets going these minor leaguers toss’em….
Hi- Fives! Ahh, Goons. Man, I miss those guys. And kudos to the linesmen for letting them go. The NHL’s Concussion Protocol is just one more nail in the coffin for fighting.
Remember, Dec 24th is the OFHL Breakfast Banquet, 10:30 @ Denny’s. Bring a player to swap for the Christmas Gift Exchange. Here is last year’s player swap:
|CORDY||trades||Clendening PT||for||Wilson NS|
|ROLPHY||Gagner PH||Jarnkrok NS|
|EZ||u-Miller VN||v-M.Smith AZ|
|TMAN||v-M.Smith AZ||C.Smith NS|
|VINNY||Scrivens MT||Gagner PH|
|ERTY||Semin CR||Scrivens MT|
|GOJO||Wilson NS||Clendening PT|
|ORV||Jarnkrok NS||Semin CR|
|STIFLER||Methot OT||u-Miller VN|
|JBR||C.Smith NS||Methot OT|
Who knows? You could end up with Brent Burns.
That’s it boys. Have a good week and keep warm.
THE WEEKLY RANT
Fulty accosted me in the liquor store Friday, pointed to the logo on his hat, and said the page better show some love for the hottest team in the NHL. Not sure this is what he had in mind.
Anyways, it’s about time we see some Canadian teams up top the standings. Hopefully there are a few of them playing in April/May/June.
In the OFHL this week:
- Haukster & Fulty tie for the big week with 40 points
- Fulty & Vinny are still perfect with 6-0 records
- Stifler had the stinky week with 19 points
- Ren & Stimpy have wins in both weeks
- Orv had the first pick up of the year and grabbed red-hot Richard Panik of CH. F
- The Week 2 pick-up goes to Orv again. Rumor is that with Jon Quick out for a while, LA Kings might be dressing their goalie coach Bill Ranford. A better pick-up option than Kings back-ups Budaj or Zatkoff?
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
POTW honors could have gone to PK for showing up to his home opener in this…
Three players tied with 8 points for the most this week: JBR’s Cam Talbot EDM, Rolphy’s Brent Burns SJ, & Haukster’s Mike Green DT.
But POTW has gotta go to the ageless Jaromir Jagr. The 44-year-old scored his 750th goal in the NHL on Thursday, becoming only the third playing in history to hit the mark, joining Wayne Gretzky (894) and Gordie Howe (801). Had Jagr not left for the KHL in 2008, playing three seasons in Russia, he’d have passed Howe by now.
1990! The year Brett Hull scored 72, Gretzky had 102 assists, The Simpsons began, and Vanilla Ice & MC Hammer were rockin’ your Walkmans.
from the rolphyfiles
When Nic Dowd of the Kings got 2 points against the ‘nucks on Saturday night, The Score app recorded him as “N. Dowd” which we all imagined was his pornstar name. Ranks right up there with other NHLers, Hakan Loob, Randy Wood, & Ron Tugnutt. Then there’s baseball’s Randy Johnson, NASCAR’s Dick Trickle, football’s Dick Butkus, and even Canada’s IOC rep, Dick Pound. C’mon parents! Think about the name.
The Oilers & Jets met in the Heritage Classic on Sunday. “Classic” because it wasn’t -35 outside.
Also in Winnipeg… Patrick Laine was asked if he can keep up his goal-a-game pace and pass his idol, Teemu Selanne, who scored 76 goals in his rookie season…”What was Teemu’s rookie record again? Ok. No problem. So, I can have six off-games.”
In Real Estate News…
T-Man recently had the reality check of selling his home in the Cariboo and purchasing in the megatropolis of Abbotsford. And while that’s a step up in house prices, it’s nothing like Vancouver proper. The Province like to compare the house prices of various celebrity homes to the YVR market. They recently gave this comparison:
Want to buy a house in Vancouver? This modest little Dunbar area gem will put you back about 5 Million. But it has a new roof and fruit trees.
Or, for roughly the same dollar you can grab one of Frank Sinatra’s old haunts just outside Palm Springs. It only has nine bedrooms and 13 bathrooms, and is on just seven-and-a-half acres, but it’s still pretty cool, and is on top of a mountain. Check it:
Best Seat in the Dog House – The Preds opened up against the Hawks last Friday and it was the kind of game that kept fans begging for more. Or begging for treats. Or for squeaky toys. At least in one case.
Jersey Fouls – A junior hockey team in Trenton, Ontario wore these Harambe themed jerseys this week…..
TRUMP FACT CHECKER
Seeing as the US Election is only days away, It’s time to expose some of Trump’s claims:
- Ukraine was not Frasier’s brother on the show “Frasier.”
- Game of Thrones is not an adult version of musical chairs.
- Jackson Browne is only one person.
- Malaysia is not the female version of Asia.
- Pop tarts do not cause ‘splosions.
- Boeing is a company, not a sound effect
- Jersey Governor Chris Christie was never in the show “Three’s Company.”
- Garfunkel is not Garfield’s black cousin.
CUT-DOWN DAY COMING
Every GM will have to cut their rosters to 30 players on Nov 6, which will be the end of wk 4. At that point you’ll have:
- 13 in your lineup for that week
- 12 on the bench
- 5 on the prospect list (check the rules for their eligibility)
Getting Ready for Halloween?
That’s it. GO CUBS!