Just back from Fat Camp in Aruba. Must have been a success as I gained 10 lbs!
THE WEEK THAT WAS
- Erty dominated the week with 47 points on the back of his Carolina Finns.
- He went 3-0, as did Rolphy, Fulty, & Haukster
- T-Man had the 2nd best week, but went 2-1, losing to Erty
- Haukster did what no one has been able to do as he gives Derko his first loss of the year.
- Movers: Haukster jumps up to 2nd place; Erty up to 5th
- EZ & GoJo actually tie a game – so much for the .25 business ending ties
- R&S traded the bad Nylander & Stiflers 2018 5th round pick to Gojo for Country music sensation Owen Tippett
- R&S picked up the great Charlie Lindgren of the Habs
- R&S get the week 7 pick-up as a 1 was rolled.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ERTY’s Teravainen (10pts) and Aho (9) combine for more points than R&S’s entire team.
7th worst 3rd jerseys of all time: Ray Ferraro commented that the worst-dressed game he ever saw was when the Kings trotted these tributes to Burger King out against the salmon-clad Canucks. Why am I hungry all of a sudden?
UNTIL NEXT WEEK….
Pray for D scoring! With the “Middle Bumper” now being the favorite PowerPlay formation of most NHL teams, the days of the D-Man loading up the bomb from the point seem to be gone. Burns & Big Buff have yet to score this year. Weird.
Week 1 is over with one more to go.
Tier 1 – Thee Top Dogs Division
All teams that finished in the money at the end of the regular season – Cordy, Rolphy, Fulty, Derko, & T-Man. They are playing for a draft pick at the end of the 5th round 2017. Here are the stats after week 1.
Tier 2 – The Vinny Table Division
Consists of those teams that finished out of the money but not in the bottom 4 – eZ, Haukster, Vinny, GoJo, Erty. They are playing for a pick at the end of the 4th round.
Week 1 stats.
Tier 3 – The Bottom Feeders Division
The bottom 4 teams in regular season – Stifler, JBR, Orv, Ren & Stimpy. They are playing for a pick at the end of the 3rd round.
JBR is all over this. Stifler isn’t.
This past week was the 20 Year Anniversary of the Last Great Line Brawl between the Avs and the Red Wings. It was the get-back-at-Claude-Lemieux-for-his-cheap-shot-on-Kris-Draper game. It had it all. Legends wrestling, Sucker punches, Goalie fights, a Flying Shanahan… Watch the grainy video and think of simpler times.
And what was the result of all this? 22 penalty minutes. No suspensions. No game misconducts. Neither goalie ejected. McCarty even came back to score the winner on Patrick Roy late in the game. Good fun.
OFHL DRAFT 2017
The Lottery Draft was held on Friday and here were the odds:
- R&S – 20%
- Tman (from Orv) – 17.8%
- JBR – 15.6%
- Stiler – 13.3%
- Erty – 11.1%
- GoJo – 8.9%
- Vinny – 6.7%
- Haukster – 4.4%
- Tman (from eZ via Cordy) – 2.2%
Side note: Fulty’s motion that you must be present to win was debated. It was agreed to hold off the vote for this motion until after the lotto pick had been made
This will be the highest pick for Erty since ’12 when he grabbed Galchenyuk MT #3.
Denny’s Christmas Gift Exchange Revisited
Remember the Christmas Player Exchange at Denny’s? No? Here’s a breakdown of the the players traded, their points since Christmas, and their new team.
|PLAYER||POINTS SINCE CHRISTMAS||NEW TEAM||DUMPED BY|
JBR had the top point-getter (Chara with 22 since Christmas)
Cordy had the biggest jump (got Boedker, dropped Yakupov = gain of 14pts)
Orv had the biggest drop (got Stralman, dropped Chara = drop of 15pts)
But did it really matter? Or was it just kinda fun? Or could Grigorenko be the next Brent Burns?
March Madness wraps up on Monday night with Gonzaga Bulldogs up against North Carolina. Go Zags!
So that’s it! The last Sunday night that you have to stop the family movie while you go put in your roster, and then can’t decide between the superstar who plays one game, or the plug who plays five. Enjoy the REAL playoffs.
Broncos win; learned lesson from beat-down by Seahawks 2 years ago; and still Erty thinks the refs are out to make sure a white guy gets the trophy….
Hey, Von Miller – SuperBowl 50 MVP – Do you wanna be rich?
SOUNDTRACK OF THE OFHL
- Things got a little tighter up top the standings as Cordy went 0-3, while Fulty, Derko, & Rolphy went 3-0
- Nice to see JBR & Durand start to put together some wins; both are 3-2-1 in the last 2 weeks
- No one else moved up or down in the standings this week
- Stifler falls back to last but gets the week 17 pick-up
- Who’s Hot: Fulty 8-0 run; Rolphy 7-2
- Who’s Not: Vinny 1-8; GoJo 2-6-1
40 years ago today…. Darryl Sittler’s 10 point night. Read about it here.
Dobber rumor mill reported that Radulov & Kovalchuk are contemplating returns to the NHL. Awesome! We can look forward to more of this.
GET TO KNOW ME!
Time to get to know your OFHL Franchises. This week’s spotlight…. TEAM ERTY
- 7th season of operation
- 1st season: 2009-2010 (0.120 winning %)
- Worst finish: 11th (last) 2009-2010
- Best finish: 4th in 2013 (0.607 %)
- 1st ever draft pick: Semyon Varlamov WS, 7th overall 2009 draft (grabbed Leino with his next pick….)
- Highest picks: 3rd overall – Landeskog CO in 2011, and Galchenyuk MT in 2012
- Best late pick: Brian Elliot 14th rd, 2009
- Weirdest pick: Jyrki Jokipakka DL 2014 (Who? How do you spell that?)
- 1st pick-up: Grabner VN
- 1st trade: Traded his 1st & 6th in 2010 draft to GoJo for Lupul AH, Morrow DL, Grabovski TO, & Gilroy NI. (That 1st rounder ended up being a 1st overall — Cordy used it to grab Taylor Hall ED. The 6th rder was was Gudbranson FL)
- Team logo:
Derko rode the Penguins wave as Crosby & his new acquire Letang each notched 8 points.
No wonder Jagr still loves the game.
Despite fewer games, Fulty had a solid week (34pts), while Stifler brought up the back-end (9pts)
Fulty is on a 14-0 run (and doing it with 3 Oilers!)
After a rough start, Erty is quietly going about his business
T-Man fit to be tied: 5 ties this year; just like an EPL team
TRADES & TRANSACTIONS
Lots of players moving around this week:
- Fasth ED goes to JBR (your goaltending situation just got worse!)
- Hodgson BF goes to Fulty (still not too late for Cody, but Orv and the Sabres might have wrecked him)
- T-Man adds a top 6 player in Spooner BO (top 6 in the AHL)
- Orv grabbed Campbell FL to
solidifyage his defence
- Bouwmeester ST naturally went to Team Holland and switches from Blues to Oranje
- Colborne CY takes his rich-boy act to Haukster
- Sproul DT gives Vinny a young player that is ready to crack Detroit’s roster (in 2021)
- Rynnas DL goes to Fulty…..and the song remains the same
- Martin PT goes to Cordy. Vinny lauds the trade as “Cordy gets a role player. And that role is ‘Player-to-be-cut.'”
- Rolphy “sent a message” in releasing and re-selecting Smith-Pelley-Smith AH.
TRADE: T-Man sends Trochek FL & 5th in ’16 to Rolphy for Kuemper MN
- ANALYSIS: Lose-Lose-Win — Kuemper might be a decent goalie, but The Wild have a habit of cursing their goalies with various maladies (Backstrom, Harding), plus, they have no museums (Bryzgalov). Trochek is a decent centreman but he’s buried in the depth chart behind 4 C’s who are his age or younger. The only win here is the 5th, which Rolphy has traditionally used to pick up such players as Orlov, Henrique, & Dickenson (Angie)
TRADE: Orv trades Pietrangelo ST, 2nd ’16, and C’s 5th ’16 to Cordy for JJohnson CBJ, Barrie CO & 5th ’15
- ANALYSIS: Win-Win — (see below)
JBR grabbed Russian WJC tender Ilya Sorokin NYI and gets the pick-up again this week.
Rolphy’s Holtby (coolest goalie in hockey) gets 6 points this week.
- Canada – Duclair, Nurse, Bowey
- US – DeAngelo
- Finland – Kapanen
- Czech – Pasternak
- Canada – Theodore, Ritchie
- Sweden – Nylander
- Russia – Barbashev
- Canada – Fabbri, Morrissey
- Czech – Vrana
- Canada – Domi
- US – Demko
- US – Milano, Tuch
- Russia – Goldobin
- Finland – Honka
- Swiss – Fiala
- Denmark – Ehlers
- Canada – Reinhart
- Canada – Virtanen
- Canada – Lazar
- Russia – Sorokin
Gojo & Rolphy
- Spa date
Erty finally has a decent week: 39 points! Enough to go 3-0. That’s more wins in one week than he’s had in the first 5 weeks of the season. Everyone of his roster players registered a point. Fulty finished one point back (38) of Erty, but just happened to be playing Ertel.
JBR used his week 5 pick-up to grab Travis Sanheim (Philly 1st rounder ’14) This week’s Pick-up goes to JBR again, but since this would be his 3rd in a row, it has to go to lottery. Lottery Rules require a role of the die with the pick going to JBR if a 1, 2, or 3 are rolled; it goes to Stifler if a 4 or 5 are rolled; and if a 6th is rolled it goes to Erty. And the impartial thrower tossed a “6” so Erty gets the pick.
Tight up top as the separation between 1st (Cordy) and 5th (Haukster) is just one good week.
Lots of ties this week as T-Man, Orv, Rolphy, & Vinny were crammed in a 25 point log-jam……OMAHA!
POTW – Price gets the POTW honors with 8 points.