Cordy: 2016-17 OFHL Champ!
There’s still a week to go in the regular season, but Cordy wrapped up his 10th OFHL Championship and first since 2011-12.
Cordy finally relinquishes his 3-year hold on The Derko Cup and will pass that down to Rolphy as The Big Rig has locked down 2nd spot.
There are still a few things to be decided this coming week. The battle for 3rd will be decided as Fulty sits just 2 points ahead of Derko.
T-Man (who had the top week with 50 points) will take the 5th money spot as with 79 points he can’t catch anyone or be caught. Pretty good for a guy who is managing his team from Thailand.
Here’s a refresher on the $ spots:
- 1st place $200,
- 2nd place $140,
- 3rd place $100,
- 4th place $60,
- 5th place $40
These five teams will also be in the playoffs together for the 5th round draft pick.
The Second Tier:
Looks like this level is set with Haukster, Vinny, EZ, and GoJo all solidly in the Lottery spots. There is a mathematical chance that Erty could be caught by a late-surging Stifler, but a lot of things would have to align for that to happen. This tier will playoff for a 4th round pick.
JBR jumped ahead of Orv this week as Orv’s parabolic season continues (and it’s a negative parabola)
Ren & Stimpy hold down the basement spot and will round out the bottom 4 who will playoff for the 3rd round pick in next year’s draft.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
JBR had a huge week with the help of 8 points from Talbot ED, but it was Marchand BO who helped JBR jump over ORV in the standings with a 9 point week
HOCKEY CARD OF THE WEEK
It’s been a rumor amongst NHL forwards that Nik Kronwall suffers from a severely odoriferous case of on-ice flatulence, brought on by his pre-game routine of raw broccoli, coffee, and crab cakes. He vehemently disputes it, but the truth is evident.
Ah, fart jokes. Always funny.
The Hockey News came out with their Future Watch 2017 last week. Here’s how each OFHL franchise rates:
|THN FUTURE WATCH|
|TOP 10||PLAYER||OFHL TEAM|
|5||Eriksson Ek MN||Vinny|
Ren & Stimpy have 3 of the Top 10 (drafted one, traded for the other 2.) Orv & Haukster also have reason to think things are looking up with 2 each in the Top 10.
Here’s a look at the number of Top 100 Prospects each team has, and how many Top 50 each has.
|Prospects in the Top 100||In the Top 50|
R&S have a stable full of prospects, while GoJo looks like he could use a solid draft; grab more Bjorkstrand’s and stay away from the Luongos and Sedins.
THE END IS NIGH
One week left, then playoffs:
- Playoffs will run for the last two weeks of the NHL season
- Teams will continue to submit weekly rosters for duration of the playoffs
- Total points for all playoff weeks used to determine playoff winners
- Playoffs will be tiered based on OFHL regular season final standings
- Tier one – all teams that finished in the money at the end of the regular season
- Tier two- those teams that finished out of the money but not in the bottom 4
- Tier three – the bottom 4 teams in regular season
The winners of each playoff tier will win the following
- Tier one – a draft pick at the end of the 5th round in the next year
- Tier two – a draft pick at the end of the 4th round in the next year
- Tier three – a draft pick at the end of the 3rd round in the next year
That’s it. Have a good week, and….
From Drama Teachers to Reality TV stars, the world is changing into something I know not…… at least whisky stays the same.
THE WEEK IN BULLETS
- Big week for Haukster with 41
- 3-0 weeks for Haukster, Derko, Erty, & Cordy
- Vinny had the 5th best points, yet went 0-3. Damn schedule-maker!
- Orv had the 3rd worst week yet went 2-1
- Cordy takes over 1st, Fulty falls to 3rd
- Big movers: Rolphy’s up 2 spots to 2nd; Haukster is up 2 spots to 7th.
- Log jam at 3rd as Fulty, Erty, & Derko are all 10-5
- Sinkers: Vinny drops from 3rd to 6th
- Orv crawls out of the basement so R&S get the pick-up for this week
- Orv grabbed March Assault (sp?) from FL with last week’s pick-up.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Rask BO helped Haukster to his big week as he snagged 12 points.
The kmsh’s son was the in-game entertainment at the recent Vancouver Giants – Kelowna Rockets game in Langley. Kid thinks on his feet (unlike his old man) and only lost by one goal.
That reminded T-Man of this recent U of Michigan between-period entertainment with their Alumni.
If you don’t remember who Mike Legg is, Google his U of M goal.
from the galleries of the t-man files
The Cut-down day was seamless and everybody got their list of prospects right. The Hockey News put together their own list of the top prospects. Here’s their top 10:
- McDavid ED – JBR
- Matthews TO – Vinny
- Ekblad FL – T-Man
- Eichel BF – Stifler
- MacKinnon COL – Derko
- Laine WP – Stifler
- Barkov FL – Rolphy
- Puljujarvi ED – JBR
- Strome AZ – Orv
- Larkin DT – JBR
JBR & Stifler are each putting together a nice stable of studs.
Here is how many of the Top 100 each GM has:
- 8 for JBR
- 7 each for Haukster, Derko, & Rolphy
- 6 for Vinny, Fulty, & Orv
- 5 for Stifler, T-Man Erty, & Ren&Stimpy
- 4 for EZ & Cordy
- 1 for GoJo (Bjorkstrand ranked #70)
Bjork or Bjorkstrand? Either way, GoJo’s prospects aren’t great.
In this week of Remembrance for those that have gone, it’s only fitting that the OFHL remember those we’ve lost; namely, The Goons. And watching Max Domi one-punch Kesler did the heart good. So, in memory of Tie, and with stats from dropyourgloves.com, here goes:
The Most Fights in the NHL:
|2||Dave “Tiger” Williams||330|
Best Winning %
|Tom Rennie & Stimpie||15||2||12||1||5||11||76||15.2||0.167|
Somebody is having a birthday this coming week…..
Happy 65th GoJo! Good to see you can still triple-fist your drinks. Or do I see a fourth on the go?