Cut-down day is coming! Sunday night Oct. 29 Mid-night. You have to be down to 31 players or Rolphy will turn off the heat in your house. Oh yeah, he’s that powerful.
You will need to have decided on your 31 players:
- 26 active players (you can still wait until before the first game Monday to put in your weekly lineup)
- 5 prospects/farm (23 years of age or younger – any position)
THE WEEK THAT WAS
- Erty piled on another 3-0 with his high week of 44.25pts
- Also going 3-0: Fulty, Derko, eZ, Haukster, Vinny
- Six teams went 0-3 as things are starting to spread out a bit.
- Derko is a perfect 9-0 and has the most player points
- Vinny is making a push to leave the Vinny Table in splinters as he’s 8-1 – only loss coming to Derko
- Ren & Stimpy had the stinky week with 22.25 but get the pick up for this week
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Great week for anyone who had TBay players. Erty had 8’s from his Ruskies, Kucherov & Vasilevsky, but Vinny’s Stamkos hit 11 points for the nod.
Bruins teammates Charlie McAvoy and David Backes held a friendly wager this past weekend when their college teams, Boston U & Minnesota State squared off for a two-game series.
Backes offered to pay for the rook’s dinner on the road if BU won both games, while McAvoy agreed to come to Backes house and pick up his dog’s poop if Minnesota State swept. It seemed like a pretty good proposition for McAvoy, as BU came into the series ranked second in the country while Minnesota State was unranked.
Well tough luck, Rook, Minny pounded the Terriers, winning 6-3 and 3-0.
A bet is a bet, so McAvoy had to make the house call with a scooper in hand.
Everybody is jumping on the Don Cherry tribute jerseys. Friday night was Brandon Wheat Kings turn.
|Ren & Stimpy||9||1||8||0||2||22.25||59.75||19.92||0.111|
UNTIL NEXT WEEK…
Two great Canadians left us this week:
One you might not know so much about. John Dunsworth played Mr. Lahey on the Trailer Park Boys. An actor with a diverse resume, he never drank but played the whiskey drinking trailer park supervisor for many seasons.
No other Canadian musician understood this country’s deep love of hockey as did Gordon Downie. The life-long Bruins fan was a goalie who backstopped the Amherstville Bantam Rep to an Ontario Provincial Championship back in the day. Here is a tribute to Gord, his love of Canada, and his love of the game. Take some time, raise a glass and enjoy…
A tribute to his father who used to stand at “The Lonely End” and watch Gord in net.
The video for “The Darkest One” encompasses so much Canadiana:
- Trailer Park Boys jacking a motor
- old dollar bills
- Don Cherry backhanding Ricky
- old school Canadian stubbies
- Bubbles with the cat
- Bubbles driving
- and Downie raising a glass at 2:36. Cheers!
The Penultimate week coming up and here’s what we know…
- Cordy has the OFHL Championship wrapped up if:
- He wins or ties one game in the next 2 weeks
- Rolphy loses one game or ties one in the next 2 weeks
- For Rolphy to win:
- He has to go 6-0
- Cordy goes 0-6
- He makes up the 53 player points he is trailing…
- Race for 3rd: Fulty is 2 points up on Derko
- Race for 5th (the last $ spot): T-Man holds a 3 point lead over EZ; 4 over Vinny; 5 over Haukster
- EZ moves up another spot to sit 6th; 3 weeks ago he sat in 9th
- The Yakupov Deal (Swap of 1sts) between C (who has T-man’s 1st) & T (who got EZ’s from C) is heating up.
- Cordy had the big week with 45 points; also going 3-0 were Derko & EZ
- T-Man had the 3rd best week but went 1-2
- Orv had the 3rd worst week but went 2-1
- As of time of publishing this post, the last pick-up of the year hadn’t been made yet by JBR, but he acknowledged that he was going to grab Team Canada stalwart Taylor Raddysh of TBay
Here is a review of the year’s pick-ups (note: some have already been dropped…)
|11||JBR||C Brown TO|
PLAYER OF THE WEEK+
Cordy’s Malkin PT could have got the nod with his Gordie Howe hat-trick (if you want to call that a fight) but Erik Karlsson OT had 9 points for the POTW. Here are a few POTW beauties, some past, some present.
Fulty was scouting Benn way back when.
Kucherov was co-POTW last week. The guy is rolling right now. He can do no wrong.
Here is a refresher on the Playoff Rules (this is done even though I know one of you will text at the end of the 1st playoff week and ask if we are updating our rosters or just playing the same guys for 2 weeks….don’t be “that guy.”)
- Playoffs will run for the last two weeks of the NHL season
- Teams will continue to submit weekly rosters for duration of the playoffs
- Total points for all playoff weeks used to determine playoff winners
- Playoffs will be tiered based on OFHL regular season final standings
- Tier one – all teams that finished in the money at the end of the regular season
- Tier two– those teams that finished out of the money but not in the bottom 4
- Tier three – the bottom 4 teams in regular season
The winners of each playoff tier will win the following
- Tier one – a draft pick at the end of the 5th round in the next year
- Tier two – a draft pick at the end of the 4th round in the next year
- Tier three – a draft pick at the end of the 3rd round in the next year
Spring Break is coming. If you’re going skiing, be careful in the trees. This guy just skied between two trees — no wipe-out. His friends now call him “Lip Stick.”
Until next week…
Trade Deadline Deals
TSN Deadline Day was pretty much a bust, but in the early hours of Sunday morning, a major trade did take place. Orv traded Max Domi AZ and the pick up to R&S for Rolphy’s 1st, Jordan Greenway MN, R&S 5th, and Andrew Shaw MT. Here’s an insight to the anatomy of an OFHL Deadline Day trade…Plus some other ramblings which make this NSFW
Love how he asks for a 2nd, then immediately gets excited about them having EZ’s 5th. And that solidified things.
Consider this… that hand he used to shake for the confirmation of the deal, was the same one that he had deep in his pants at the beginning of the first video…. just sayin’
TSN Deadline Day wasn’t a complete bust. Bryzgalov was given a microphone and came up with these gems:
- “When I hear my voice, it sounds disgusting.” —upon listening to playback from his first segment
- “Because they know I will become a starter.” – on why no NHL GM is giving him a shot to play backup
- “Guys! Breaking news! Orlando Bloom and Katy Perry broke up.”
- “Guys! A question! Is chicken meat? Or is it a bird?”
- “Good for him. Lots of sun. Ocean. Play the beach ball with Jaromir Jagr.” — on Thomas Vanek’s trade to Florida
- “My name is Ilya Bryzgalov. I’m your new leader. Let’s go.” — on how he introduced himself to his new teammates
- “I’m an old-school guy. I believe in oil and gas. I don’t want to save money. I want to spend money. More money I spend, better for the economy.”
- “He going to continue riding his horses and enjoying his farm. Catch the scorpion and train the rattlesnake.” – on Shane Doan still untraded at 3 p.m.
- “Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. I don’t have contract. I’m here as guest.” — upon learning that Sportsnet’s broadcast goes until 6 p.m.
THE WEEK IN BULLETS
- Big week to Cordy with 44 points
- He and Erty went 3-0
- Rolphy went 2-1 and fell 7 points behind Cordy for 1st
- Haukster had 10 points on Sunday to pass Rolphy and stop his run of 3 perfect weeks
- T-Man strengthened his hold on the last $ spot moving 6 points up on Vinny
- eZ jumped up one spot to 7th
- Orv traded his pick-up to R&S who grabbed Philippe Myers from the Q.
- This is the last pick up of the year. R&S get 123, JBR gets 45, Orv gets 6…… and it’s a “5” so JBR gets to make the last pick-up of the season.
- Three weeks remaining in the regular season and then the 2 weeks of playoffs.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
With Bryzgalov in the spotlight it’s not surprising that the POTWs are Russian, and one’s even a goalie.
The honour should go to Kucherov from Team Erty & EZ’s Bobrovsky who each hit 9 points, but Donny McLeod’s hockey card trumps them all.
Keeping with the ‘tenders… remember these glorious days of hockey?
Clarke probably started it all, but there he is, top left, innocently admiring his creation.
And these “Even More Gloriouser” days….
NHL has now licensed Beanie babies…
From the Grammar Police
STANDINGS AFTER WEEK 21
Green – in the Money
Blue – Vinny Tablers
Red – Bottom Feeders
The KHL’s 2017 Gagarin Cup playoffs began last week. Regular season champions SKA St. Petersburg released a hype video, and boy, is there a lot going on.
Nothing says Russian Hockey like a hockey glove-wearing rocker who has no need for a pick; 16 cymbal drummer still wearing his shoulder pads; Datsyuk firing off a cannon, and bullets hitting the floor. Only thing missing was vodka-soaked fans pelting the referees with turnips.
That’s it. Three weeks to go in Regular Season.