THE WEEK THAT WAS
- Brent Burns SJ & Eric Staal MN combining for 7 points in the last game of the week was just what Rolphy needed to pull ahead in his head to head match up with Haukster
- Rolphy took 1st overall for the week with 44.25 points
- Derko & GoJo also went 3-0
- Haukster had the 2nd most points (43.75) but ended the week with four guys on the injury list
- Derko sits in 1st in the standings, 8 points clear of Vinny; Derko also has a huge advantage in Total Player Points as he’s >57 ahead of T-man
- T-Man jumps up 2 spots to 4th overall
- GoJo jumps up 3 spots to 9th overall
- GoJo grabbed Alex Kerfoot CO with the week 9 pick-up
- The pick-up is a lottery again and a “4” was rolled. That means Stifler gets the week 10 pick-up
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
It should have been Haukster’s Jake Allen who led the OFHL with 10 points…
It could have been this tender from the German league…
But anyone who fist-bumps themselves has to win POTW. Well played, Kuznetsov.
FROM THE VAULT
Remembering the Goon.
Worst 3rd Jerseys #4 – All the New York Islanders jerseys that weren’t the original.
Where did these ideas come from? Safety vests. Basketball jerseys. Captain Highliner.
Matt Martin & Mitch Marner get a pick-me-up from Matthews.
UNTIL NEXT WEEK…
So the results are in and it looks like most of you are good with the OFHL Christmas Banquet being held Dec 23rd at Denny’s 10am. To you Out-of-towners, find a homeless guy and take him to Denny’s. It’ll do your heart good and the conversation will be way better.
Forbes Magazine listed the NHL’s most valuable franchises. See it here.
So it begs the question:
That’s it. Get your shopping done this week. Or don’t. And meet the rest of us on the afternoon of the 24th at the BC Liquor Store.
REGULAR SEASON WRAP
- Season ends with Cordy taking the Championship with a 0.813 winning percentage; 2nd highest since his 0.827 16 years ago.
- Rolphy ended solidly in 2nd and gets to enjoy the Derko Cup all of next year. We expect to see it adorn one of the Horizons HVAC vans ripping around the Cariboo.
- With Cordy wrapping up the OFHL Championship last weekend, there was really only one race left to decide: the Third Place money.
- In the end, Fulty stretched his lead over Derko in the final week and grabbed 3rd spot and the extra $40.
- T-Man rounded out the 5th & final $ spot. It should be noted that T-Man finished ahead of Derko in player points. Just sayin’.
- EZ jumped 2 spots in the final week to grab top loser spot and the last lottery spot (which actually belongs to T-Man)
- Stifler bests JBR in the Battle of Expansion Cousins
- Orv finished 2nd last but that just means he will likely get a great lottery pick this yea… wait…what? He traded that pick to T-Man? Oh. Nevermind.
- A more detailed wrap-up of each GMs season will be released at year end.
|1. Cordy $200||72||58||13||1||117||29||843||35.1||0.813|
|2. Rolphy $140||72||53||16||3||109||32||786||32.8||0.757|
|3. Fulty $100||72||48||20||4||100||44||778||32.4||0.694|
|4. Derko $60||72||48||24||0||96||29||733||30.5||0.667|
|5. T-Man $40||72||41||28||3||85||34||735||30.6||0.590|
PLAYERS OF THE YEAR
Here are the leaders in each category:
Rookie: Matthews TO (Vinny) & Laine WPG (Stifler) 61 points
Vet: Zetterberg DT (Vinny) 62 pts
Forward: McDavid ED (Stifler) 88 pts
D-Man: Burns SJ (Rolphy) 99 pts
And for the 2nd year in a row…
Goal: Holtby WS (Rolphy) 100 pts
Holtby could have been a 3-peater if not for falling to Carey Price back in 2014-15
The Napkin Re-visited
It looked like the napkin would have some validity early in the season, but predicting the final standings of 14 teams seven months before the conclusion is tough work. While the prediction of finish within the top two tiers was relatively close, the bottom tier was almost perfect.
One thing is clear with this prediction business, time spent on the toilet is not directly proportional to your powers of prognostication.
LET THE PLAYOFFS BEGIN!
- Playoffs will run for the last two weeks of the NHL season
- Teams will continue to submit weekly rosters for duration of the playoffs
- Total points for all playoff weeks used to determine playoff winners
- Playoffs will be tiered based on OFHL regular season final standings
- Tier one – all teams that finished in the money at the end of the regular season – Cordy, Rolphy, Fulty, Derko, & T-Man
- Tier two- those teams that finished out of the money but not in the bottom 4 – eZ, Haukster, Vinny, GoJo, Erty
- Tier three – the bottom 4 teams in regular season – Stifler, JBR, Orv, Ren & Stimpy
The winners of each playoff tier will win the following
- Tier one – a draft pick at the end of the 5th round in the next year
- Tier two – a draft pick at the end of the 4th round in the next year
- Tier three – a draft pick at the end of the 3rd round in the next year
Turn your sound on to really enjoy this… or just imagine Vinny saying “Playoffs?” thirty times.
That’s it boys! Another great season. Let the playoffs begin!
THE WEEKLY RANT
Great time of the year: Hockey starts, football in full swing, Baseball games are meaningful, and the American political situation is providing more comedy than a full season of Saturday Night Live.
- In the OFHL, Goal scoring is up, Rookies are taking over, and the OFHL welcomed their first couple. Welcome to the fire Ren & Stimpy.
- Week One begins with a shorty, and 3 ties as there wasn’t a big spread. Parity?
- Vinny took the big week with 32 points, and while the talk was all Matthews, it was Cam Fowler AH who was his big point guy with 5 pts.
- Vinny, Fulty, & JBR were a perfect 3-0
- Stifler didn’t have a great week but is undefeated at 2-0-1
- ORV had the stinker of a week with 14 pts, but gets to make the first pick-up of the season.
- The Rookies have been great. Pull-your-RV scores in his first game, as does Laine, Tkachuk runs amuck, and Vinny’s 1st overall pick was pretty good too. How important was it that Auston Matthews save hockey in Toronto? Just watch…
- Thanks to Erty for getting Office Pools up and running for another year. The pool is called “OFHL” for the 2016/17 season, password is….
The Blackhawks were at the Cubs-Dodgers game Sunday night. Got to meet Andre “Hawk” Dawson, and even sang “Take me out to the Ball Game” at the 7th inning stretch. If you are a fan of hockey players singing terribly, google it. But remember, you’ve been warned.
The Penguins vistited the black guy in the White House recently. They honored him with a jersey. It had number 44 on the back.
They told him it was because he was the 44th President of the USA, but secretly Barack knew it was because his favorite player was former Pen Rob Brown, he of a still-WHL-record 212 points in the 1986-87 season and 115 points two years later when he played on the same line as one Mario Lemieux.
Keeping with the Pens….Just when you thought it was all in the past, this is just depressing:
Crosby has been diagnosed with another concussion and there is no timetable for his return.
Crosby has missed more than 100 games to concussions in his career, and you have to wonder where that tally will be after 2016-17.
Every GM will have to cut their rosters to 30 players on Nov 6, which will be the end of wk 4. At that point you’ll have:
- 13 in your lineup for that week
- 12 on the bench
- 5 on the prospect list (check the rules for their eligibility)
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
POTW for week 1 goes to….
Just kidding. Marchand and McDavid each got 6 points, but POTW for week one goes to the new guys. Ren & Stimpy’s 6 point effort from Paul Stastny gets the nod.
Bring on week 2!
Epic battle between Stifler & JBR this past week. It was the third instalment of the “Great Turtle Race,” aka “The Fall for Auston Matthews” and it didn’t disappoint as JBR won the rubber match and is putting some distance between the two.
Both teams iced
their best lineups in hopes of taking the lead looking competitive (but not too competitive) and climbing up the standings having better odds in the lottery.
Just a reminder of what you’re
playing sewering for.
So what happened this past week?
- Cordy had big week with 48 points; Stifler had the low with 15
- Perfect weeks for Derko, Cordy, & GoJo; Oh-fers for Orv, Stif, eZ, & Rolphy (and Rolphy had a 37 pt week – life is unfair)
- JBR’s had wins in each of his past 3 weeks
- Who’s Hot: Cordy’s 7-0-2, Derko’s 5-0-1, GoJo’s 6-1-1, as is Erty
- Erty has moved up from 9th to 6th in the past 3 weeks.
- Who’s Not: Orv’s 0-5, Vinny’s 1-7-1, Stifler (records available upon request)
- The pick-up is a lottery pick now, but a 2 was rolled so it’s Stifler again.
- Coming up this week: No games WTF! Yes, that’s correct, “No games Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.”
|WK 12 Sked||F||C||D||R||H||Z||T||V||E||G||O||S||J||Bye|
|12||D 21-27||Z T||H E D||T S C||Z T S||C G O||R F V||D R F||O J Z||S C G||J H E||V J H||E D R||G O V||F|
CHRISTMAS PLAYER EXCHANGE THIS THURSDAY
The traditional Christmas Player Exchange breaky is once again slated for Denny’s, Dec 24th @ 10ish. If you can’t make it and want to put a player into the exchange, put it on the board, or send it to the kmsh before Thursday.
The Maple Leafs are considering changing their uniforms. The public is offering suggestions.
There have been suggestions for new Canucks logo & jerseys…
What do you think guys? The experts opinion seems mixed…
That Tom Jones. Classic fist pump!
Here’s who we have in the WJC (barring late cuts). Thanks to Fulty for the research.
|Rantanen CO||Gurianov DL||Meier SJ||Kapanen TO||Kamenev NS||Marner TO||Eriksson Ek MN||Virtanen VN||Strome AZ||Crouse FL||Sanheim PH|
|Nylander TO||Barzal NI||Werenski CB||Perlini AZ||Svechnikov DT||Fleury CR|
|Konecny PH||Dvorak AZ||Provorov PH|
WJC SKED – Get your beers and your meat/cheese tray ready and enjoy(even if they are 9:30am starts.) It is truly “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year.”
There was no clear winner for POTW as 5 players tied with 8 points: Karlsson & Crawford from Team Cordy, Gojo’s Luongo, Erty’s Varlamov, and Derko’s Koivu who gets the honour as the only player who doesn’t have an adjusted category.
We never talk about the goalies for TEAM Stifler or TEAM JBR. We should. They are solid. In fact, here’s Stif’s Curtis McElhinney making a great stop.
MUSIC TO PERUSE STATS BY
In the current musical climate filled with “Bieber” and his ilk, it’s good to see some young rockers from Minnesota that have respect for the classics. Check out Hippo Campus’s cover of “Don’t Bring Me Down.”
Of course ELO’s original is better, but the Kid’s Are All Right.
That’s it. Enjoy the holidays. Merry Christmas from the kmsh.
- Fulty & Rolphy are perfect 3-0
- Fulty has a 3 point lead on Cordy and is 4 up on Rolphy (who had the big week with 43 pts.)
- Orvy & Haukster making noise as both go 2-0-1
- Erty, T-Man, and the Turtle Racers all go “oh-fer.” Stifler goes “oh-fer November.”
- Orvy’s on a nice little 5-1-2 run.
- JBR & Stifler are tied in winning % but JBR has fewer player points, so he’s at the bottom, and gets the pick-up for week 8 as a “3” was rolled.
Draft 2016 update. Auston Matthews of Zurich is coming back from an UBI and hopes to regain the coveted “Golden Helmet” as leading point getter in the Swiss league.
His 17 points in 14 games is pretty impressive (playing against men) and will make this year’s Great Turtle Race more intriguing as there isn’t a default prize like Eichel this year. Hopefully, the team that misses out isn’t too depressed…. I can just see Stifler dragging his head after missing out on McDavid & Matthews…. kind of like Jahlil Okafor of the 76ers after they went 0-15.
With their recent injury woes, looks like the Oilers will be front & center for the Auston Matthews sweepstakes. This from Wednesday night….
“The Oilers lost their fourth-leading scorer in that game, Nail Yakupov. If you watch the GIF below closely, you’ll see that right before the linesman hits the ice, he realizes that he’s grabbed the jersey of a $2.5M forward in two places and maybe that’s not such a good idea. Too late. Next time, take that fall on your own, buddy.” Eric Rolfson – Vancouver Sun
Oh, those Oilers…if it’s not the refs injuring them, it’s their own teammates… throwback to a few years back when Hall got his head stepped on by a teammate in warmup. (from the hauksterfiles)
Trades & Transactions
EZ and Derko made a trade this week, as did Haukster & Cordy, announced quietly on the board. We need to step up our trade announcement game. Now this…. this is how you announce a trade. (NSFW)
Brap! Brap, brap, brap brap!
from the hauksterfiles
Economics of Sport – THE SCORE discussed that players don’t want to play in Alberta or Manitoba anymore (taxes, weather, NDP govt… no, seriously, they said that); they also discussed that Vancouver & TO aren’t that appealing because of housing costs, and when multi-million dollar athletes start complaining about housing costs, ya gotta take notice.
NBA’s Gilbert Arenas’ house in the LA hills
Would you want to re-locate?
YOUR OPINION MATTERS! (not really, but give it anyway)
We’re past the 1/4 pole for the season so it’s time for a few opinions based on rumblings at Hortys. What do you think of…
But first… AHL POTW — Utica’s Joe Labate, the Canucks fourth rounder ’11, got into a scrap with Sam Morin, of the Flyers organization, and came out of it looking like this:
Rolphy’s Braden Holtby hit double digits as his 10 points accounted for almost a quarter of R’s total.