Rogers Hometown Hockey was in Williams Lake this weekend. It was a great event that showcased the community and the stories of those who work and play here. Events on Saturday were hosted by HTH host Tara Slone
Ron MacLean showed up on Sunday, and all seemed to be going well until one local man couldn’t control his enthusiasm for a little TV “face time” during the pre-game feed from Downtown Williams Lake.
And it didn’t end there. He was next seen tossing small children out of his way.
Security moved in to remove him, but quickly realized they were dealing with a special needs adult when they witnessed him clapping for a pigeon that flew overhead.
If you do see this person wandering around downtown Williams Lake, rolling up the rims of empty Tim’s cups, approach with kindness as he is delusional; he truly believes he can catch Derko.
FRIDAY NIGHT GOLD!
Hey Baby, OOH AHH, It’s GOLD for Canada. Ok. We can all breathe now.
Lias Andersson knew what he was doing when he tossed his medal in the stands…
Love watching the WJC (could do with 2 fewer teams to keep the blowouts in check) and having a chance to actually watch/scout the prospects and not just rely upon Dobber, Button, Marek, or Mackenzie to tell us about them.
And there have been some interesting mid-WJC pick-ups in the OFHL:
- Cordy took Jarome Iginla DL in ’96
- Orv grabbed Carey Price MT in ’07
- Stifler picked up Ilya Sorokin NYI in ’15
- T-Man took Kirill Kaprizov MN in ’17
A question was raised as to why some WJC players (such as Swedish D-Man Rasmus Dahlin) wear full cages, while others do not. It was believed that for players under age of 17 it is mandatory, and not, as Fulty said, that “TSN made him wear one ‘cuz he’s so ugly.”
Back to the NHL – Is Vegas for real?
- VGK has had 3 win streaks of at least five games this season, which is the most in the NHL. Only one other team has more than one.
- VGK had points in 13 straight games. In that streak, they had more points than the Arizona Coyotes during the entire season.
- VGK have never lost more than three games in a row. Only one team (Tampa Bay) has lost fewer in a row (2).
- They’ve beat the Pens, T-Bay, Caps, and shut-out the Preds.
- and finally, Jay & Dan said that through 38 games, VGK already have a longer win streak than the Dallas Stars have had in 50 years as a franchise.
THE WEEK THAT WAS
- Derko had the big week with 51.5 points
- Also going 3-0 were Fulty and Ren&Stimpy….yep, you read that right.
- 29.5 pts for R&S was good enough for a 3-0 week
- T-Man had 10 more points during the week but went 1-2
- Vinny jumped up into 3rd spot
- Player of the week honors were shared by four players who had 8 point weeks: Marchand (JBR), Provorov (Vinny), Crosby (Derko), & Rantanen (Fulty)
- Orv picked up Wm. Karlsson of the VGK. He gets to do it again this week as a 4 was rolled
- Weird weeks coming up. Count your games.
UNTIL NEXT WEEK…
Last week’s headline asked: “Is Derko for Real?” Apparently, too many of us believe it as the talk around the OFHL lately is that there is no stopping Derko.
Sure, as of Jan 1, ’18 he’s up 10 points on Fulty, Haukster, & Vinny, but 10 points over the next 36 games is not that significant of an undertaking if you are up to it…
- Case in point; 2016. Cordy was 10 points up on Fulty on Jan 1. Fulty won the league by 4 points.
- Even greater case in point; 2012. Dinky was 12 points up on Jan 1, but Cordy ended up winning by 3 points. Dinky was even passed by Fulty & GoJo.
So never say “it’s too late.” Unless you want to forever sit at a certain “table.”
Week 1 is over with one more to go.
Tier 1 – Thee Top Dogs Division
All teams that finished in the money at the end of the regular season – Cordy, Rolphy, Fulty, Derko, & T-Man. They are playing for a draft pick at the end of the 5th round 2017. Here are the stats after week 1.
Tier 2 – The Vinny Table Division
Consists of those teams that finished out of the money but not in the bottom 4 – eZ, Haukster, Vinny, GoJo, Erty. They are playing for a pick at the end of the 4th round.
Week 1 stats.
Tier 3 – The Bottom Feeders Division
The bottom 4 teams in regular season – Stifler, JBR, Orv, Ren & Stimpy. They are playing for a pick at the end of the 3rd round.
JBR is all over this. Stifler isn’t.
This past week was the 20 Year Anniversary of the Last Great Line Brawl between the Avs and the Red Wings. It was the get-back-at-Claude-Lemieux-for-his-cheap-shot-on-Kris-Draper game. It had it all. Legends wrestling, Sucker punches, Goalie fights, a Flying Shanahan… Watch the grainy video and think of simpler times.
And what was the result of all this? 22 penalty minutes. No suspensions. No game misconducts. Neither goalie ejected. McCarty even came back to score the winner on Patrick Roy late in the game. Good fun.
OFHL DRAFT 2017
The Lottery Draft was held on Friday and here were the odds:
- R&S – 20%
- Tman (from Orv) – 17.8%
- JBR – 15.6%
- Stiler – 13.3%
- Erty – 11.1%
- GoJo – 8.9%
- Vinny – 6.7%
- Haukster – 4.4%
- Tman (from eZ via Cordy) – 2.2%
Side note: Fulty’s motion that you must be present to win was debated. It was agreed to hold off the vote for this motion until after the lotto pick had been made
This will be the highest pick for Erty since ’12 when he grabbed Galchenyuk MT #3.
Denny’s Christmas Gift Exchange Revisited
Remember the Christmas Player Exchange at Denny’s? No? Here’s a breakdown of the the players traded, their points since Christmas, and their new team.
|PLAYER||POINTS SINCE CHRISTMAS||NEW TEAM||DUMPED BY|
JBR had the top point-getter (Chara with 22 since Christmas)
Cordy had the biggest jump (got Boedker, dropped Yakupov = gain of 14pts)
Orv had the biggest drop (got Stralman, dropped Chara = drop of 15pts)
But did it really matter? Or was it just kinda fun? Or could Grigorenko be the next Brent Burns?
March Madness wraps up on Monday night with Gonzaga Bulldogs up against North Carolina. Go Zags!
So that’s it! The last Sunday night that you have to stop the family movie while you go put in your roster, and then can’t decide between the superstar who plays one game, or the plug who plays five. Enjoy the REAL playoffs.
Canadiana Music Moments continue as we look to Vinny’s East Coast roots and give listen to Sloan.
WHAT HAPPENED THIS WEEK?
- Erty had a huge week with 39 points
- He went 3-0, as did Rolphy, Cordy, & Derko
- Cordy jumped ahead of Fulty into 1st
- Derko sits in 3rd, one point behind Fulty, and with the injuries to Cordy & Fulty lately, D could come up the middle
- And don’t count out Rolphy as he just refuses to be shaken. He’s gone 21-5 in the new year – hottest team in 2016
- GoJo’s on a bit of a run: 6-2-1 in past 3 weeks
- EZ’s quietly working on #teamtank as he’s taken only 3 games in the last 7 weeks.
- Haukster’s been putting together winning weeks and could catch ORV
- ORV doesn’t want to drop in the standings since he traded away his 1st rounder (no surprise, really… he’s never been afraid to trade). He’s already dropped one spot since the trade.
GET TO KNOW ME!
Time to get to know your OFHL Franchises. This week’s spotlight…. TEAM VINNY
- 12th season of operation
- 1st season: 2004-2005 (the season of the strike)
- First real season: 2005-2006 finished 7th out of 11 (0.340 winning %)
- Worst finish: 10th (2x) 2008 (last place) & 2013
- Best finish: 5th in 2009 (0.528 %)
- Has finished 8th in four of the past six years
- 1st selection: Iginla CY in 2004 dispersal draft
- 1st ever draft pick: Cam Barker CH, 5th overall 2004 draft; took Donald Brashear PH with the 6th overall
- 1st pick-up: Versteeg CH
- 1st trade: With Fulty last week…. just kidding, Vinny got Eric Lindros in 2004 from T-Man for the 12th dispersal pick. Lindros got 48 more points in 82 more games with Dallas and Toronto before calling it a career; T-Man grabbed Calgary rookie Dion Phaneuf with that 12th pick.
- Highest pick: 1st overall – Steven Stamkos TB in 2008
- Team Icon…
Flyers fan gets custom Gostisbehere jersey featuring ghost, bear emojis
Check out these beauties.
Second week in a row that Burns SJ takes the honours for Team Rolphy with an 8 point week.
A Beauty of a different sort….This pic of the Great One’s mullett was hidden for years, but recently found
Fun fact: Brooks Laich assisted on William Nylander’s first goal in the NHL, March 5, 2016. He also assisted on William’s dad’s (Michael) last goal in the NHL, April 5, 2009.
If you’ve got the time……Go to this site and watch the Top Hockey Interviews….OF ALL TIME! Clune on Bass; Instant Classic! Plus the Bryz!
That’s all! Spring is here. The last month of the season should be fun. Have a great week.
A 7th inning we’ll probably be talking about for some time. Martin’s error, garbage littering the field, 3 Rangers errors, Bautista goes yard, Tulo gets a bum pat…. Most of us are probably casual BlueJays fans, but get on the bandwagon! This has been a fun ride so far!
Last week’s poll question asked if you thought the Napkin having Vinny in a money spot was based in fantasy or reality; most of you think he’s legit and will soon rise above .500 to take his place in the $.
I wonder how Vinny voted on this? We’ll see, but at least no one thought he was heading south of the OFHL Mendoza line.
Speaking of polls, here’s your chance to vote on the TOP 50 WHL PLAYERS. You have to register, but try it – it’s pretty cool. A reminder of days gone by.
McDavid finally scored on a tip-in but the “Other” kids 2nd goal was pretty sweet.
Even Larkin had a nice one,
Bruins coach Claude Julien started to get a little nervous as his team falters in the early going. Here he starts to melt in a presser.
The 2011 Stanley Cup champs aren’t the only team falling from the towers of the elite. Things are tough for the last place Seahawks. A 2-4 start, including 0-3 on the road and blowing a 17-point fourth quarter lead last Sunday v. the Bengals, a 13 point lead on Sunday v. Carolina, and they’re one blown call against Detroit from being 1-5. But at least they still respect their Quarterback. Same can’t be said about Tom Brady.
Bills fans always have it rough. Recipe for Bills Tailgating party:
- Drink heavily
- Spin around a bat
- Head-butt front of bus
But guess who is having a good time so far this season? The ‘nuck Brass is!
CUT-DOWN WEEK COMING – End of week 4
THIS PAST WEEK
Carey Price was POTW with 8 points and helped Cordy go 3-0 this week, and 5-0 so far, but Fulty still holds the overall lead.
Cordy had the big week with 42 points, while Erty could only manage 11.
GoJo had the 4th best point total for the week (31) but still went 0-2; Fulty had the 3rd worst (23) yet he went 2-0-1.
The Week 2 pick-up goes to JBR again. He used his 1st pick-up to grab Mattias Janmark of Dallas.
Season 24 of the OFHL has begun and last year’s champ Fulty is the front-runner to repeat, according to the preseason expert. The napkin has been a bit more accurate in past years, still, I think few would agree with picking Stifler to finish that high…
The Napkin does think the money spots will fall to — in order of predicted finish — Fulty, Cordy, Rolphy, Derko, and Vinny….. yes, Vinny is picked for the 5th and final money spot (napkin maker drew the $ cut-off one spot too high) which would mark the first time Vinny has hit the money since joining the OFHL over a decade ago.
What do you think? Will Vinny make the money this year?
At the end of week 1, Fulty’s in first and JBR’s in last… not much changed from last year. But that means that JBR gets the first pick-up of 2015-16.
BLUE JAYS – Nice to watch some meaningful ball this past week. That Donaldson, some kind of competitor, eh?
This post-season reaction from the Pirates’ Rodriguez reminds me of how the kmsh reacted every time someone reminded him of how he finished 2nd the year before and wasn’t going to draft until round 15.
CUT-DOWN DAY SUNDAY Nov 1st MIDNIGHT.
All final cuts must be made by cut-down day. At midnight Nov 1 each team will have:
- 13 players on active roster
- 12 players on bench
- 5 players on prospect list (23 years of age or younger)
Trying to get a huge lead on the points race before he goes to prison, Patrick Kane racked up 6 points in week 1.