The Penultimate week coming up and here’s what we know…
- Cordy has the OFHL Championship wrapped up if:
- He wins or ties one game in the next 2 weeks
- Rolphy loses one game or ties one in the next 2 weeks
- For Rolphy to win:
- He has to go 6-0
- Cordy goes 0-6
- He makes up the 53 player points he is trailing…
- Race for 3rd: Fulty is 2 points up on Derko
- Race for 5th (the last $ spot): T-Man holds a 3 point lead over EZ; 4 over Vinny; 5 over Haukster
- EZ moves up another spot to sit 6th; 3 weeks ago he sat in 9th
- The Yakupov Deal (Swap of 1sts) between C (who has T-man’s 1st) & T (who got EZ’s from C) is heating up.
- Cordy had the big week with 45 points; also going 3-0 were Derko & EZ
- T-Man had the 3rd best week but went 1-2
- Orv had the 3rd worst week but went 2-1
- As of time of publishing this post, the last pick-up of the year hadn’t been made yet by JBR, but he acknowledged that he was going to grab Team Canada stalwart Taylor Raddysh of TBay
Here is a review of the year’s pick-ups (note: some have already been dropped…)
|11||JBR||C Brown TO|
PLAYER OF THE WEEK+
Cordy’s Malkin PT could have got the nod with his Gordie Howe hat-trick (if you want to call that a fight) but Erik Karlsson OT had 9 points for the POTW. Here are a few POTW beauties, some past, some present.
Fulty was scouting Benn way back when.
Kucherov was co-POTW last week. The guy is rolling right now. He can do no wrong.
Here is a refresher on the Playoff Rules (this is done even though I know one of you will text at the end of the 1st playoff week and ask if we are updating our rosters or just playing the same guys for 2 weeks….don’t be “that guy.”)
- Playoffs will run for the last two weeks of the NHL season
- Teams will continue to submit weekly rosters for duration of the playoffs
- Total points for all playoff weeks used to determine playoff winners
- Playoffs will be tiered based on OFHL regular season final standings
- Tier one – all teams that finished in the money at the end of the regular season
- Tier two– those teams that finished out of the money but not in the bottom 4
- Tier three – the bottom 4 teams in regular season
The winners of each playoff tier will win the following
- Tier one – a draft pick at the end of the 5th round in the next year
- Tier two – a draft pick at the end of the 4th round in the next year
- Tier three – a draft pick at the end of the 3rd round in the next year
Spring Break is coming. If you’re going skiing, be careful in the trees. This guy just skied between two trees — no wipe-out. His friends now call him “Lip Stick.”
Until next week…
Starting off with some All-Star signs from the Trump protests…
Some All-Star moves with Jori Lehtera’s trick shot from the KHL All-Star game back a few years.
THE WEEK IN BULLETS
- Even though it was a short one, Rolphy had a crazy week with 34 points
- He had more points (12) after Monday night than “somebody” did all week
- 3-0 weeks also went to T-Man, Erty, Haukster, & JBR
- Lots of movers as Haukster & T-Man each jumped up 2 spots
- Derko & JBR jumped up one spot
- Rolphy is on a 12-0 run, 17-1 in past 6 weeks
- T-Man is on an 11-1 run (and is now winning the Yakupov Derby)
- Pick-up is a lottery again this week. R&S have 123, Stif has 45, JBR has 6.
- A “6” was rolled so the pick-up for this week goes to JBR. Have until Feb 5th to make/trade the pick.
- Some trades of note:
- Derko trades Kopitar LA and a 5th to Fulty for Rinne NS and Pavelski SJ
- Rolphy trades his 4th in’17 (from T-man) to Gojo for E. Staal MN
- Vinny trades his 5th in ’17 to Fulty for Luongo FL
- We just finished week 16; there are 24 weeks in the season, therefore we are at the two-thirds mark
- 5 more pick up weeks
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
It’s another goalie as Rolphy’s Andersen didn’t get scored on this week.
HOCKEY CARD OF THE WEEK
“Anybody got a better photo of Farrish or Toporowski? No? These will have to do.”
You’d think they could get a better pic of the guy, he did make it into 400+ NHL games. Now an Assistant Coach in Colorado.
Toporowski was drafted by the Sharks, but that’s as close as he got. 505 PIMS in Spokane back in 1991. Now a retirement advisor in Iowa. His son Luke went 9th overall in the WHL Bantam draft last May. He was selected by…. Spokane. Life is funny.
Superbowl’s next weekend…
Babcock delivered answer of the night when asked if he thought all these back-to-backs were tough on his young players:
Not watching the all-star game since that’s 3 hours of your life you’ll never get back? Read this instead.
Started with a trick shot, may as well end with one.
That’s it. And did you notice that the POTW picture wasn’t of Andersen but of Bernier and Reimer? If you did, you are either Rolphy or a savant.
Congrats to Rolphy for winning the Derko Cup of the WL Tribune’s hockey pool.
Note to GMs: do not try taking a picture of this and depositing it into your own bank account. RBC, TD, and Scotiabank are already onto this, and EZ told the WLDCU to expect it….so it looks like offshore banks are the only option now.
(that’s the one before the Ultimate)
“The White Buffalo” is up this week. Coincidentally, that’s what the little Mexicans were calling me on the beaches last vacation.
The video is actually footage of Rolphy dancing at the cowboy/biker bar in Phoenix a few years back.
- Fulty shows the way with a 44 point week; goes 3-0
- Holds on to his 2 point lead over Cordy who also went 3-0
- Only fitting that Fulty and Cordy go head-to-head this week
- Fulty also plays S & G; Cordy plays R & Z
- Rolphy rolls on and jumps ahead of Derko into 3rd
- Rolphy had a 10-1-1 month
- T-Man’s 40 points only good for a 1-2 week
- Haukster jumps past eZ; EZ won’t slide much lower unless Vinny packs it in
- Orv has had a disappointing month with a 3-9-0 run, but JBR went full “Thomas the tank” with a 1-11-0 month
Final week coming up. Your Sunday nights will finally be free for family again.
For those of you who were able to attend Horty’s Friday this past week, you were witness to a discussion on how to add some life to the regular season (and if you stayed later, you witnessed some first class sh*t slinging between two GMs – sorry you had to see that GoJo & ertz, but when a guy starts off with “F* You!” ya gotta represent.)
Anyways, kmsh proposed a playoff structure and we discussed merits/problems/changes about it. Here is the Playoff Proposal. Peruse it, and feel free to add your comments/questions on the board. (already one modification – GoJo suggested winner of level 3 playoff gets an end-of-2nd-round pick instead of 1st round.) That’s no April Fools joke either – in case some were wondering.
Speaking of April Fools, potential new GM Chad Matthies showed up at Horty’s Friday and told us that Virtanen and McCann had been returned to their junior teams. We all bit. But so did Chad. Could be good having another gullible GM in the pool. Speaking of April Fools….
- Devils announce name and uniform change
GET TO KNOW ME!
Time to get to know your OFHL Franchises. This week’s spotlight…. TEAM CORDY
- 24th season of operation (last of the “Original 5”)
- 1st season: 1992-3 (1st place – total points)
- First player selected: Kevin Stevens PT (4th overall) – selected Gretzky in later round. Convinced a fellow GM to take Wayne Grotski in an earlier round so other believed the “Great One” had already been selected)
- Championship seasons: ’93, ’94, ’97, ’98, ’00, ’01, ’04, ’08, ’12
- Best winning percentage: 0.827 – 2001
- Worst finish: 10th (of 11) 2010 – 0.370
- 1st “recorded” trade: Sent Iginla CY to Rob for Bonk OT & Koivu MT (Oct ’96) (Traded away 17 players that year – unlimited rosters)
- 1st pick-up: Olaf Kolzig WS (Jan ’98)
- Highest pick:
- 2000 – Brian Boucher PH 1st overall
- 2006 – Phil Kessel BO 1st overall
- 2010 – Taylor Hall ED 1st overall
- Derko Cup Wins: 7
The “Hair that talks” weighed in on the NHL recently.
Burnsy again gets POTW honours with 8 points, but this time he has to share with Artemi Panarin, GoJo’s astute 1st round selection this past draft.
No matter the final outcomes, it’s been a great season boys. Thanks to Fulty & Erty for all their efforts this season.
Keep the last weekend of September open for OFHL Draft ’16.
Do you like your rock music to be hard/country/bluesy/Canadiany? Me too. Give these Ontario boys a listen. Rolphy, can you get these guys for the Stampede?
- 5 weeks to go; Fulty and Cordy are tied for 1st in points, and only one player point apart – they’ll play each other twice more this season.
- Cordy used a 10 point Sunday to jump past his 3 rivals for a 3-0 week
- Also going 3-0: Fulty & JBR (gets his first 3-0 week)
- Haukster jumped ahead of Vinny into 9th
- Derko ties for the 2nd best week but goes 1-1-1
- The last pick-up of the year goes to lottery. A “2” is rolled so it goes to Stifler
NHL trade deadline was this past Monday and it was largely uneventful, save for TSN’s Marty Biron taking out Jen Hedger with the T-Shirt cannon for the “Save of the Day.” Hi-lites?
- Wilfred Laurier won the Prime Ministers’ Giant Head Race.
- We now know everything about Sergei Plotnikoff. I mean EVERYTHING!
- After starting 22-16-5, the Arizona Coyotes are 5-14-1 in 20 games since trading John Scott
- Canucks owner Aquilini hates Stars Gagliardi so much he’d rather get nothing for Hamhuis than trade with his rival…. (kind of like some OFHL GMs)
- Toronto was ecstatic about acquiring Brooks Laich…. Funny, a team that wants to get younger just traded for a guy who was once traded for Peter Bondra.
OFHL TRADE DEADLINE
Orv gets alot younger as he gets Nuge from Fulty who in turn gets a solid performer for the push this year in pre-vet Pavelski
Most notable was Derko dealing for goalies. He grabbed Anderson from Orv, Scrivens from Erty, and Hiller from Cordy (but that trade was rescinded after it was discovered he didn’t have a 17th rounder)
He tried to get Lundquist as well but Fulty wouldn’t allow it. Here, Henrik reacts to the news that he’s stuck on Team Fulty for the rest of the year.
WORLD CUP OF HOCKEY 2016
Getting excited? The jerseys were unveiled the other day.
Czechs, Ruskies, Tre Kronor, & Suomi stayed with the tried and true; USA is bringin’ the shield, but the real interesting ones are:
- Canada – Cannabis meets Plumber’s Crack
- North America – Zelda meets V for Vendetta meets N.W.A. (and on black yet. Nice!)
- Team Europe – Sponsored by Enron?
GET TO KNOW ME!
Time to get to know your OFHL Franchises. This week’s spotlight…. TEAM ROLPHY
- 5th season of operation
- 1st season: 2011-2012 (0.117 winning %) Instituted the “New Guy Brings all the Meat” clause.
- Worst finish: 12th (last) his rookie season
- Best finish: 4th in 2015 (0.608 %)
- 1st ever draft pick: Miikka Kiprusoff CY, 8th overall 2011 draft
- He traded his next pick to T-Man for J. Staal and a 3rd (Montoya NYI)
- Highest picks: 2nd overall – Holtby WS in 2011, and Bennett CY in 2014
- 1st pick-up: Justin Williams LA
- Best late pick: Steen STL 11th rd, 2011 (still on roster) This was the only pick past rd 10 that Rolphy has ever made, other than his inaugural draft
- Weirdest trade (EVER!) Denny’s Christmas Player Exchange 2013 – Rolphy gives up Cory Conacher who went on to register 26 more OFHL points; in return he got Brent Burns who has registered 200+ OFHL points since that trade. The week Rolphy got him, Burns registered 10 points.
It’s a tie. Crosby is back on top with 9 points (helps when your team plays 5 games in the week) as is Chewbacca (Brent Burns)
That’s it. Remember to turn your clocks back next weekend.