THE WEEK THAT WAS
- Brent Burns SJ & Eric Staal MN combining for 7 points in the last game of the week was just what Rolphy needed to pull ahead in his head to head match up with Haukster
- Rolphy took 1st overall for the week with 44.25 points
- Derko & GoJo also went 3-0
- Haukster had the 2nd most points (43.75) but ended the week with four guys on the injury list
- Derko sits in 1st in the standings, 8 points clear of Vinny; Derko also has a huge advantage in Total Player Points as he’s >57 ahead of T-man
- T-Man jumps up 2 spots to 4th overall
- GoJo jumps up 3 spots to 9th overall
- GoJo grabbed Alex Kerfoot CO with the week 9 pick-up
- The pick-up is a lottery again and a “4” was rolled. That means Stifler gets the week 10 pick-up
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
It should have been Haukster’s Jake Allen who led the OFHL with 10 points…
It could have been this tender from the German league…
But anyone who fist-bumps themselves has to win POTW. Well played, Kuznetsov.
FROM THE VAULT
Remembering the Goon.
Worst 3rd Jerseys #4 – All the New York Islanders jerseys that weren’t the original.
Where did these ideas come from? Safety vests. Basketball jerseys. Captain Highliner.
Matt Martin & Mitch Marner get a pick-me-up from Matthews.
UNTIL NEXT WEEK…
So the results are in and it looks like most of you are good with the OFHL Christmas Banquet being held Dec 23rd at Denny’s 10am. To you Out-of-towners, find a homeless guy and take him to Denny’s. It’ll do your heart good and the conversation will be way better.
Forbes Magazine listed the NHL’s most valuable franchises. See it here.
So it begs the question:
That’s it. Get your shopping done this week. Or don’t. And meet the rest of us on the afternoon of the 24th at the BC Liquor Store.
Week 1 is over with one more to go.
Tier 1 – Thee Top Dogs Division
All teams that finished in the money at the end of the regular season – Cordy, Rolphy, Fulty, Derko, & T-Man. They are playing for a draft pick at the end of the 5th round 2017. Here are the stats after week 1.
Tier 2 – The Vinny Table Division
Consists of those teams that finished out of the money but not in the bottom 4 – eZ, Haukster, Vinny, GoJo, Erty. They are playing for a pick at the end of the 4th round.
Week 1 stats.
Tier 3 – The Bottom Feeders Division
The bottom 4 teams in regular season – Stifler, JBR, Orv, Ren & Stimpy. They are playing for a pick at the end of the 3rd round.
JBR is all over this. Stifler isn’t.
This past week was the 20 Year Anniversary of the Last Great Line Brawl between the Avs and the Red Wings. It was the get-back-at-Claude-Lemieux-for-his-cheap-shot-on-Kris-Draper game. It had it all. Legends wrestling, Sucker punches, Goalie fights, a Flying Shanahan… Watch the grainy video and think of simpler times.
And what was the result of all this? 22 penalty minutes. No suspensions. No game misconducts. Neither goalie ejected. McCarty even came back to score the winner on Patrick Roy late in the game. Good fun.
OFHL DRAFT 2017
The Lottery Draft was held on Friday and here were the odds:
- R&S – 20%
- Tman (from Orv) – 17.8%
- JBR – 15.6%
- Stiler – 13.3%
- Erty – 11.1%
- GoJo – 8.9%
- Vinny – 6.7%
- Haukster – 4.4%
- Tman (from eZ via Cordy) – 2.2%
Side note: Fulty’s motion that you must be present to win was debated. It was agreed to hold off the vote for this motion until after the lotto pick had been made
This will be the highest pick for Erty since ’12 when he grabbed Galchenyuk MT #3.
Denny’s Christmas Gift Exchange Revisited
Remember the Christmas Player Exchange at Denny’s? No? Here’s a breakdown of the the players traded, their points since Christmas, and their new team.
|PLAYER||POINTS SINCE CHRISTMAS||NEW TEAM||DUMPED BY|
JBR had the top point-getter (Chara with 22 since Christmas)
Cordy had the biggest jump (got Boedker, dropped Yakupov = gain of 14pts)
Orv had the biggest drop (got Stralman, dropped Chara = drop of 15pts)
But did it really matter? Or was it just kinda fun? Or could Grigorenko be the next Brent Burns?
March Madness wraps up on Monday night with Gonzaga Bulldogs up against North Carolina. Go Zags!
So that’s it! The last Sunday night that you have to stop the family movie while you go put in your roster, and then can’t decide between the superstar who plays one game, or the plug who plays five. Enjoy the REAL playoffs.
Thought we’d start off with a Christmas Carol courtesy of Facebook profiles:
Good News: Craig Cunningham is getting better
THE WEEK IN BULLETS
- Lots of goals, shut-outs, and fights this week so point totals were high.
- EZ led the way with 47 points and is now on a 6-0 run
- EZ had four players register at least 6 points.
- T-Man and Cordy had the 2nd best weeks with 42 points and both went 3-0
- Derko had the 3rd best week with 39 points, yet went 1-2; Orv had the 2nd worst week with 24 points and also went 1-2
- Haukster is on a 12-3 run; Vinny is on a 9-3 run; Cordy’s on a 9-0 run.
- T-Man and Haukster each moved up one spot in this weeks standings
- Lots of injuries as well: GoJo & Orv each had two red + signs
- Ren & Stimpy record their first win in 7 weeks
- Pick-up for this week goes to a lottery again: R&S get 1-3, Stif gets 4 & %, and Orv gets 6….. and it is a “4” meaning Stifler gets the pick-up again this week.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Lots of big weeks; Voracek (Derko) & Karlsson (Cordy) led the way with 9 points each, Holtby (Rolphy) had 8, and Hamilton (T-Man) and Darling (R&S) each had 7…..but the POTW has to go to Shayne Gostisbehere. Anybody who gets a beer named after them is POTW hands-down!
It’s out of Conshohocken Brewing in Pennsylvania. Road Trip, Erty?
NHL Droughts – Quick look at some NHL droughts…
SOME OFHL DROUGHTS OF NOTE:
- Active OFHL Cup drought: 12 years – VINNY
- Active OFHL being in the money drought: 12 years – VINNY
- Longest time since he had his own 1st round pick: 6 years – T-MAN
- Longest time since he’s locked himself in a bathroom at the draft: Never – Every GM except for DERKO
- Longest time since he’s fallen down stairs at the draft: Never – Every GM except for ORV
It’s slow to start, but once it gets going these minor leaguers toss’em….
Hi- Fives! Ahh, Goons. Man, I miss those guys. And kudos to the linesmen for letting them go. The NHL’s Concussion Protocol is just one more nail in the coffin for fighting.
Remember, Dec 24th is the OFHL Breakfast Banquet, 10:30 @ Denny’s. Bring a player to swap for the Christmas Gift Exchange. Here is last year’s player swap:
|CORDY||trades||Clendening PT||for||Wilson NS|
|ROLPHY||Gagner PH||Jarnkrok NS|
|EZ||u-Miller VN||v-M.Smith AZ|
|TMAN||v-M.Smith AZ||C.Smith NS|
|VINNY||Scrivens MT||Gagner PH|
|ERTY||Semin CR||Scrivens MT|
|GOJO||Wilson NS||Clendening PT|
|ORV||Jarnkrok NS||Semin CR|
|STIFLER||Methot OT||u-Miller VN|
|JBR||C.Smith NS||Methot OT|
Who knows? You could end up with Brent Burns.
That’s it boys. Have a good week and keep warm.
Do you like your rock music to be hard/country/bluesy/Canadiany? Me too. Give these Ontario boys a listen. Rolphy, can you get these guys for the Stampede?
- 5 weeks to go; Fulty and Cordy are tied for 1st in points, and only one player point apart – they’ll play each other twice more this season.
- Cordy used a 10 point Sunday to jump past his 3 rivals for a 3-0 week
- Also going 3-0: Fulty & JBR (gets his first 3-0 week)
- Haukster jumped ahead of Vinny into 9th
- Derko ties for the 2nd best week but goes 1-1-1
- The last pick-up of the year goes to lottery. A “2” is rolled so it goes to Stifler
NHL trade deadline was this past Monday and it was largely uneventful, save for TSN’s Marty Biron taking out Jen Hedger with the T-Shirt cannon for the “Save of the Day.” Hi-lites?
- Wilfred Laurier won the Prime Ministers’ Giant Head Race.
- We now know everything about Sergei Plotnikoff. I mean EVERYTHING!
- After starting 22-16-5, the Arizona Coyotes are 5-14-1 in 20 games since trading John Scott
- Canucks owner Aquilini hates Stars Gagliardi so much he’d rather get nothing for Hamhuis than trade with his rival…. (kind of like some OFHL GMs)
- Toronto was ecstatic about acquiring Brooks Laich…. Funny, a team that wants to get younger just traded for a guy who was once traded for Peter Bondra.
OFHL TRADE DEADLINE
Orv gets alot younger as he gets Nuge from Fulty who in turn gets a solid performer for the push this year in pre-vet Pavelski
Most notable was Derko dealing for goalies. He grabbed Anderson from Orv, Scrivens from Erty, and Hiller from Cordy (but that trade was rescinded after it was discovered he didn’t have a 17th rounder)
He tried to get Lundquist as well but Fulty wouldn’t allow it. Here, Henrik reacts to the news that he’s stuck on Team Fulty for the rest of the year.
WORLD CUP OF HOCKEY 2016
Getting excited? The jerseys were unveiled the other day.
Czechs, Ruskies, Tre Kronor, & Suomi stayed with the tried and true; USA is bringin’ the shield, but the real interesting ones are:
- Canada – Cannabis meets Plumber’s Crack
- North America – Zelda meets V for Vendetta meets N.W.A. (and on black yet. Nice!)
- Team Europe – Sponsored by Enron?
GET TO KNOW ME!
Time to get to know your OFHL Franchises. This week’s spotlight…. TEAM ROLPHY
- 5th season of operation
- 1st season: 2011-2012 (0.117 winning %) Instituted the “New Guy Brings all the Meat” clause.
- Worst finish: 12th (last) his rookie season
- Best finish: 4th in 2015 (0.608 %)
- 1st ever draft pick: Miikka Kiprusoff CY, 8th overall 2011 draft
- He traded his next pick to T-Man for J. Staal and a 3rd (Montoya NYI)
- Highest picks: 2nd overall – Holtby WS in 2011, and Bennett CY in 2014
- 1st pick-up: Justin Williams LA
- Best late pick: Steen STL 11th rd, 2011 (still on roster) This was the only pick past rd 10 that Rolphy has ever made, other than his inaugural draft
- Weirdest trade (EVER!) Denny’s Christmas Player Exchange 2013 – Rolphy gives up Cory Conacher who went on to register 26 more OFHL points; in return he got Brent Burns who has registered 200+ OFHL points since that trade. The week Rolphy got him, Burns registered 10 points.
It’s a tie. Crosby is back on top with 9 points (helps when your team plays 5 games in the week) as is Chewbacca (Brent Burns)
That’s it. Remember to turn your clocks back next weekend.
- Thanks to Orv and his sandwich maker for hosting the OFHL christmas party on Sunday. Congrats to FULTY who won the “Draw your own name tag after 5 drinks” competition. His winning entry is found here. Guess which is his.
- Cordy has the big week with 37 – no change in the standings as Fulty also goes 3-0.
- JBR gets the stinky week with 16 and has been exposed as going ‘supertanker” this season by Fulty’s former soccer coach. That said, he gets the pick up for week 11.
- Best battle in the OFHL right now is for 4th as Vinny, Rolphy, Haukster, EZ, & Erty are all bunched up for that spot. If Orv could get it together he could challenge as well.
- Haukster is winless in last 3 weeks
- Stifler goes up 3-0 in the “Battle of the Newbs.”
Fleury managed to stay mumps-free and grabbed the potw honors with 8 points
OFHL Christmas AGM – Wed Dec 24 10:30am (ish) @ Denny’s – Come with a designated player for the deadwood player exchange, and if you can’t attend, text your player to the kmsh 250-267-8120 or someone you trust. But only if you want to.
TRADES & TRANSACTIONS
EZ just can’t get enough of the pick-ups as he trades for another one. He sends
future superstar solid prospect utility player baked potato Curtis Lazar (OT) to Stifler for the Pickup (week 10), and Stifler’s 3rd pick in 2015.
EZ is still trying to make up for all the useless “Funny Z-name” picks he was forced to take when the legitimate names on his draft list ran out. Not so funny now, eh, Mongolia-man?
WONDER HOW MUMPS SPREAD? ASK CLAUDE GIROUX